Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage 2.0 CRDI XS (138)
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Not wanting to pay the high charges of our friendly dealers in the UK, does anyone have a write up on how to change the Turbo-Charger and EGR valve on a CRDi Sportage?

My EGR needs to come out to clean, a common problem apparently, and the turbo whines like my ex-wife when I first accelerate.

Most of the problem relate to a garage filling her up with the wrong oil, but I cant prove it!!!!!!

Mines a 06 2.0 CRDi UK spec!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE: -

Spent 14 and 1/2 hours stripping the turbo out, shearing more bolts than I can shake a stick at, finnally couldn't dismantle the turbo to replace the core!!!

To get this off you have to unbolt the exhaust, shearing bolts, remove the bulkhead top cover and windscreen wiper motor, remove the EGR valve and cooler, unbolt the manifold and lift the lot out.

The turbo bolts are all 12mm head and have a habit of siezing, snapping and rounding off!!!!!

Couldn't fit new turbo so put back together and the whine had stopped!!!!

2000 miles later it came back and this time traced to potentially the alternater pulley, which is clutch pulley, and does a damn good turbo whine impression.

Learning point is always get a second opinion and when carrying out fault finding get someone to help!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another update: -

NOT A PULLEY, but the whine drove me crazy.

Done a lot of soul searching and forum searching, as the car ran OK and it was just a noise decided to turn up the radio, until I noticed a smell of deisel fumes when idling. Found on a forum a reference to failing metal gaskets so looked further and found the manifol gasket was blowing - BIGTIME -.

Bought new gaskets and stripped the car, found the no 4 cylinder end of the manifold koose, thought great then found that a stud had snapped causing this.

With the manifold between the engine and bulkhead I openly cried into my hands, then hired an angle drill bought a set of cobalt drills and drilled and retapped the stud, being exreamly carefull no to drill into the engine too far.

I have re-assembled and test run the car for around 200 miles and so far so good.

This is the last major job I will be doing on my beloved Sportage!!!!!!

WATCH THIS SPACE!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts