Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neighbor's '06 Sportage w/V6. It's been sitting for a couple months. Had a dead battery and we replaced that today. It will turn over/crank to your hearts delight but will not fire/start. A couple times out of about ten attempts had brief diesel-like stumbles at the end of the crank attempt. There is a raw gas smell in the exhaust, so I think it's getting fuel. (yes, there's gas in the tank). Ideas?

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
Standard or auto?

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
I would ask your neighbor if it was running before it was parked.
When was the timing belt change?
Check all your sensor connections for looseness or corrosion.
Open up the air filter box an check for a mouse nest.
Disconnect your battery for a minute an reconnect to let the computer reset itself.
Check with a code reader to see if theirs and stored codes.
A few ez things to check to help us help you.
Chief

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-Yes it was fine when parked about two months ago.
-No clue, probably never, only has about 65K miles. The car was just in for some sort of scheduled service before it was parked.
-I don't even know what to look for re: sensors.
-Air filter box is clean and has brand new filter.
-Battery replacement was a few days ago. That was the no-start discovery.
-No code reader.

I think I'm hearing a call for a tow truck...

·
Registered
97 Jeep 96 Dodge Ram
8 Posts
Sounds like it is not a fuel problem. When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump run for a second or two. This will be priming for start. You may want to check your ASD and Fuel Pump Relays.

Check if you are getting a good spark. This may be the problem. You need good fuel, air and ignition. Plus a little compression.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Check tbelt condition or if it is broken.
-No clue, probably never, only has about 65K miles. The car was just in for some sort of scheduled service before it was parked.
-I don't even know
They are due at 70K but have been known to break before this. If so, big trouble.

·
Registered
97 Jeep 96 Dodge Ram
8 Posts
Yes check that timing belt. Forgot to comment on it. You can remove the valve cover, rotate engine by hand and check for valve movement. No movement=broken timing belt. This appears to be an interference fit engine. So a broken timing belt will destroy part of the engine.

Since the engine is cranking with no unusual noises the belt may be intact. But you need to check that belt and change if unknown. Good peace of mind.

·
Registered
'06 Kia Sportage Ex
1 Posts
Hi, neighbor here...
I checked this morning and can definitely hear the fuel pump priming. The timing belt appears to be intact. The mileage is actually just over 34,000.

The air filter was changed after it was running rough several months ago. After getting the car back, it was driven less than 1 week before I noticed it seemed a little rough running at idle.

Noob here...how do I check if the spark plugs are firing ?

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
You can use a inductive timing light to check for firing.
You should beg > borrow or steal i mean rent a code reader.
Remove an clean your maf sensor with electrical or carb. Cleaner . Allow to air dry before installing.
Not many miles for a 6 year old car double check.
My 06 has been rock solid just clean & service and changed the starter a year ago no bad for 6 years.
Chief

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Hi, neighbor here...
I checked this morning and can definitely hear the fuel pump priming. The timing belt appears to be intact. The mileage is actually just over 34,000.
Low mileage won't prevent the belt from breaking - age of the belt is just as critical: the belts loose elasticity / dry out / crack / and fail due to age,

If original belt, being 5+ years old, I would let the neighbor know it may be time to have a new belt installed to prevent disappointment and heartbreak if it fails.,

·
Registered
255 Posts
Pull the spark plugs and let it sit overnight with them out to dry out that flooded engine.
Clean/gap the plugs and reinstall them and try again.
Old fuel from a gas station only gets older when a vehicle is 'abandoned' for a couple months. Ethanol loves moisture and humidity. You might be forced to drain the tank of old fuel but even crappy fuel should at least start.

And, your old oil is now soaked with gasoline from all the cranking.... If the oil level is low, add some 20w50. Your going to need to change it soon anyway. So, the thick oil should help build compression. If it isn't low, siphon or drain a quart and top it off with 20w50.

Flooded engines will always start with the good ol' can of ether starting fluid.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
Push the pedal to floor and hold it while cranking this is the deflood procedure.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 3.5, 2008 Kia Sportage 2.0, 2005 Kia Sportage 2.7
217 Posts
Crank or cam position sensor could be faulty. Any CEL/codes? Sounds like an ignition type problem. Your getting fuel and I assume your getting air. Pull off the right front plug wire and put the opening next to the lift lug on the engine or another ground. Have someone turn over car you should hear a spark at the wire. That would at least tell you if you have spark.

·
Registered
09 manual rio
84 Posts
I bet it has ether been taken to the junk yard, sold off, or fixed as this thread was started over 4 years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts