Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys . just got a call from my dealer and was told that i should bring my less than a year old picanto to the shop coz they have a "campaign" ( me deeply wonders if this a the industry-word for change due to defects). was told that from their research in 3 years time the crank shaft bolt would break so they CHANGED the bolt to alloy and something bout a spacer too (u can tell i dont know anything bout cars).

it took less than an hour to modify. this anything serious? HOPE NOT! well i hope this info be of use to all owners

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by tuesday@Sep 20 2005, 06:50 AM
hey guys . just got a call from my dealer and was told that i should bring my less than a year old picanto to the shop coz they have a "campaign" ( me deeply wonders if this a the industry-word for change due to defects). was told that from their research in 3 years time the crank shaft bolt would break so they CHANGED the bolt to alloy and something bout a spacer too (u can tell i dont know anything bout cars).

it took less than an hour to modify. this anything serious? HOPE NOT! well i hope this info be of use to all owners
That's an interesting information. When I took my Picanto to my dealer in Mandaluyong City last week for its 25,000 km service schedule, my car was EXACTLY one (1) year to the day, purely coincidence. One of the things the mechanic told me was that they were going to change the crankshaft bolt as part of the 25,000km pmt. In fact, that's the first thing they did. I saw them change something inside the engine compartment. I didn't bother to examine the details as I was not allowed in the service area.

Must be a serious matter. Imagine if after three years (your car shall have been over its warranty period) the bolt breaks. If it was a "campaign", well, at least they are being proactive about it while the car is still within the warranty period.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
think its for all units. one thread in this forum had the same problem, his was a sorento, thing was his bolt broke and some other parts of the engine got affected. he was pretty mad.

well heres hoping the alloy bolt holds. and maybe we should always remember to have it checked whenever the unit is in the shop. a bolt is a teeny weeny thing to remember and is bound to be overlooked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jjomal...i didn't ask so i don't know. but imho if all units done in one factory then all bolts used are the same so you better call your dealer

am really hoping one of the moderators here or the really knowledgeable ppl in this forum has added info.

and does any1 here had some other car model recalled? f so how does that go?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Not heard of anything yet, only crank related issue, is down to the crank pulley turning on the crank knocking the timing out..
Maybe this is a modified bolt to cure this issue?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i called the kia mechanic who did the bolt change, he was told that aside from the bolt it lacked a spacer so they added that too.

if the bolt breaks and your car is running it affects the valves and some other parts , so you'd be needing to overhaul the engine.

the bolt has something to do with the timing gear...or zsomething out of timing

Murphwiz? this it? sori if this thread is a repeat and f so can u pls. direct me to that similar thread :blush:

sori guys.. u hav to pardon my lack of knowledge on car engines :auto: :whistling:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts