Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suddenly a crack has appeared in my front windscreen! With a couple of curves up from the bottom centre of the windscreen it is over 40 cms long, and right through the glass. My Kia dealer did the "ball point pen" test and concludes it was not caused by the impact of a stone and that KIA refuse to replace it under warranty (my car is not yet 3 yrs old).
I phoned KIA Customer Service today, who say that a cracked windscreen is only covered for 1000 mls or 3 mths! I told them that I can’t find this stated in my warranty book! So I'm waiting for Customer Service to get back with "chapter & verse" as they could not find it when I was on the phone! Has anyone had a similar experience with a cracked windscreen?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Windscreens crack all the time, sometimes a tiny stone at the right angle can create a large crack, sometimes a huge hit will only create a small chip, luck of the draw.

Your car is almost 3 years old, no manufacturer on the planet will warrant a windscreen against cracking for a day let alone 3 years, cannot believe KCS said its 1000 miles or 3months.

Phone your insurers up, they will arrange replacement, normally costs about a £60 excess but it will not affect you NCB or renewal premium.

One of the joys of motoring, that's why Autoglass exist.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks to Kia Customer Service and my local Kia dealer, the cracked Windscreen has been replaced free of charge!:) KCS still could not find the "1000 mls or 3 mths" only warranty for windscreens.:confused: So I concluded that the 3, 5 or 7-year warranty should cover such eventualites.

Yes, 'seven7' windscreens do crack with stone hits, but even the car dealer ruled that out in this case. In the end Auto Pro Glaze repaired it for my Kia dealer and it cost me nothing. So, a happy ending to the story!:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picanto Windscreen under Warranty?

Suddenly a crack has appeared in my front windscreen! With a couple of curves up from the bottom centre of the windscreen it is over 40 cms long, and right through the glass. My Kia dealer did the "ball point pen" test and concludes it was not caused by the impact of a stone and that KIA refuse to replace it under warranty (my car is not yet 3 yrs old).

I phoned KIA Customer Service today [that was 22 Oct], who say that a cracked windscreen is only covered for 1000 mls or 3 mths! I told them that I can’t find this stated in my warranty book! So I'm waiting for Customer Service to get back with "chapter & verse" as they could not find it when I was on the phone! Has anyone had a similar experience with a cracked windscreen?

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Thanks to Kia Customer Service and my local Kia dealer, the cracked Windscreen has been replaced free of charge!:) KCS still could not find the "1000 mls or 3 mths" only warranty for windscreens.:confused: So I concluded that the 3, 5 or 7-year warranty should cover such eventualites.

Yes, 'seven7' windscreens do crack with stone hits, but even the car dealer ruled that out in this case. In the end Auto Pro Glaze repaired it for my Kia dealer and it cost me nothing. So, a happy ending to the story!:)
Does that mean when I got clobbered by a stone back in September I should have got Kia to repair it FOC rather than paying the insurance company £10.

Of course not, Kia (and no ther manufacturer) would cover windscreen damage under the warranty, it would be a daft thing to do.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
160 Posts
I believe the OP was stating that this crack was NOT the results of any obvious stones or something that hit it.

Most likely the windshield was not seated properly at factory or was mounted on something hard on one section at the factory. It took that much time to crack because it needed a big enough bump on the road to actually crack where it wasnt proper

·
Registered
87 Posts

I phoned KIA Customer Service today [that was 22 Oct], who say that a cracked windscreen is only covered for 1000 mls or 3 mths! I told them that I can’t find this stated in my warranty book! So I'm waiting for Customer Service to get back with "chapter & verse" as they could not find it when I was on the phone! Has anyone had a similar experience with a cracked windscreen?
Had several cracked windscreens in the past, its one of the many things that happen while you are driving on the public roads. Before laminated widscreens became standard fit in the 80's the screen would just shatter, that focused the mind and other things for a few seconds when you view of the road disapeared.

It not a warranty matter, no manufacturer would cover a screen under warranty, you could get hit by a stone or other object within seconds of leaving the garage with a new car and you have had yours nearly 3 years. One car I had needed 2 screens within the first 2 years, your insurance company will sort it for a small excess, ours is £75 and it does not affect your no claims bonus. If you call them immediately a small crack appears thay can normally repair it before it gets too big and it normally costs a tenner.

The windscreen is an important structural part of the car today and a cracked one will weaken the car. If you get stopped by the police they may fine you together with points.

Get it replaced ASAP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, of course, the windscreen could be hit by a stone, but as I said my Kia dealer concluded it was not. Anyhow, the good news is that thanks to Kia Customer Service and my local Kia dealer, the cracked Windscreen has been replaced free of charge!:) KCS still could not find the "1000 mls or 3 mths" only warranty for windscreens.:confused: So I concluded that the 3, 5 or 7-year warranty should cover such eventualites.
In the end Auto Pro Glaze repaired it for my Kia dealer and it cost me nothing. So, a happy ending to the story!:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe the OP was stating that this crack was NOT the results of any obvious stones or something that hit it.

Most likely the windshield was not seated properly at factory or was mounted on something hard on one section at the factory. It took that much time to crack because it needed a big enough bump on the road to actually crack where it wasnt proper
Thanks "Server". It's the most sensible explanation I've heard so far!

·
Registered
8 Posts
KCS still could not find the "1000 mls or 3 mths" only warranty for windscreens.:confused: So I concluded that the 3, 5 or 7-year warranty should cover such eventualites.
Total nonsense, no manufacturers warranty covers windscreens. Its accidental damage like stone chips to paintwork and punctures in tyres.
Another Forum member gave me the most sensible explanation yet. basically that "this crack was NOT the results of any obvious stones or something that hit it." True.

And that "Most likely the windshield was not seated properly at factory or was mounted on something hard on one section at the factory. It took that much time to crack because it needed a big enough bump on the road to actually crack where it wasnt proper"

So, my conclusion that KIA was responsible holds up!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Someone's having a laugh here, no warranty covers a windscreen once the car is on the road. To claim Kia replaced one after 3 years is totally ridiculous.

If it had been a manufacturing defect it would not have take 3 years to crack. One pothole and that would have been the end of the screen.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
160 Posts
True, most warranties would not even look at the claim but given that Kia has known to have spontaneously explosive glass sunroofs documented with the NHTSA reporting site. Perhaps Kia did cover it because it knows something that you and I don't?

If the OP posts the warranty paperwork claim, then that laugh is on youself...

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi Marie
I have the same problem with my Sportage. Only 3 months old and less than 2000 miles on the clock . the screen has cracked for no reason from top to bottom right in the centre. I took it to the dealer who agreed the glass had not suffered any stone damage as the crack is only on the inside layer of the laminated glass. However the sevice manager got back to me yesterday and informed me that the screen is only covered for the first 1000 miles or 3 months.I said this was not acceptable and he offered to contact Kia customer services on my behalf, I am still waiting for a reply.
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hope you get satisfaction from Kia customer service. See earlier posts. At first Kia customer service refused and said << that a cracked windscreen is only covered for 1000 mls or 3 mths!>>. So persevere!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was driving my brand new Kia Seltos 2021 (SX AWD) on the city road at about 55mph and heard (very minor) a crack on my windshield and now it is growing each passing hour. I am very disappointed with this. I have kept many cars before this (Honda, Toyota, Lexus) and have been hit by pebbles and heard big pebbles striking my screen at a much faster pace but never developed into a crack or something. Those cars persevered and I never had an issue.
I invested in a Kia for the very first time, and I am disappointed. I have contacted the warranty center and now they are looking into it. Let's see their customer service is not a disappointment too

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,095 Posts
I was driving my brand new Kia Seltos 2021 (SX AWD) on the city road at about 55mph and heard (very minor) a crack on my windshield and now it is growing each passing hour. I am very disappointed with this. I have kept many cars before this (Honda, Toyota, Lexus) and have been hit by pebbles and heard big pebbles striking my screen at a much faster pace but never developed into a crack or something. Those cars persevered and I never had an issue.
I invested in a Kia for the very first time, and I am disappointed. I have contacted the warranty center and now they are looking into it. Let's see their customer service is not a disappointment too
Car manufactures don't make their own glass, so don't be surprised if some of the manufactures names you mentioned use glass from the same factory that Kia uses.

Its impossible to predict what size object at what speed will lead to windshield damage.

You should be contacting your insurance company, not Kia, just as you should do if it were a Honda, Ford, Porsche, VW, Toyota, ........... its not warranty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.