Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying overall I love my Sporty. This is the first NEW vehicle I have purchased, and I feel confident in my selection.

I have been reading through the forum, looking for some answers to a few of my questions. I figure I may as well put up a post to see if it helps.

1) Mine came with what I assume to be the base radio (no navi and no UVO), and I am super dissapointed. Can the UVO be retrofitted into my Sporty? I guess my question is, does the factory harness support either the navi or UVO?

2) My Sporty had 94 miles on it when I picked it up Saturday.. I have only gotten about 130 miles on a half a tank of gas. To me this doesnt seem right at all. I am writing this off, in part to some of the fuel in the tank being old, but will my mileage improve as the motor breaks in? Motor seems to run good, no fuel smell etc...

3) Truck seems to be a bit slow. Maybe my hopes were a bit high for it... as the motor breaks in will the performance go up a bit? I'm not beating the hell out of it (as it only has <200 miles on it), but I have run through the gears a couple times.. it seems like just as the motor is coming into its powerband it shifts. Is this normal?

4) I have signed up on the mykia link on kia.com, is there anywhere else I should be signing up, or anything I should be specifically doing as a new owner?

5) When I first start it in the morning, it holds RPM somewhere around 2k, as if it is on choke. I know this to be normal from reading other posts, but my question is why does it do this? Is it to oil the turbo, or bring entering air temps up to a certain point?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
1) Mine came with what I assume to be the base radio (no navi and no UVO), and I am super dissapointed. Can the UVO be retrofitted into my Sporty? I guess my question is, does the factory harness support either the navi or UVO?

------------------------------------------------------------------
That sounds like the base radio, I think a UVO install if possible would be very expensive as the external amp would need to be wired to the back...probably just cheaper to get an aftermarket Navi/media head unit to be honest.

2) My Sporty had 94 miles on it when I picked it up Saturday.. I have only gotten about 130 miles on a half a tank of gas. To me this doesnt seem right at all. I am writing this off, in part to some of the fuel in the tank being old, but will my mileage improve as the motor breaks in? Motor seems to run good, no fuel smell etc...

New engines are tight, thus typically burn more fuel. Some members here have seen better mileage past the 10k miles mark. I have somewhat improved economy since about 5k miles

3) Truck seems to be a bit slow. Maybe my hopes were a bit high for it... as the motor breaks in will the performance go up a bit? I'm not beating the hell out of it (as it only has <200 miles on it), but I have run through the gears a couple times.. it seems like just as the motor is coming into its powerband it shifts. Is this normal?

Perhaps the computer doesn't allow full engine power until 600miles? The manual states not to drive it hard until that point, either the engine is tight, or the computer is holding it back I would think. If you have front wheel drive, there is torque limiting in first gear and maybe a bit in second gear, this will make it feel slower.

4) I have signed up on the mykia link on kia.com, is there anywhere else I should be signing up, or anything I should be specifically doing as a new owner?

Check out KGIS in Google. You can access all sorts of good repair information for free.

5) When I first start it in the morning, it holds RPM somewhere around 2k, as if it is on choke. I know this to be normal from reading other posts, but my question is why does it do this? Is it to oil the turbo, or bring entering air temps up to a certain point?

I believe high idle is to warm up the engine more quickly (something also about keeping it from stalling due to viscous cold oil?). This is computer controlled and completely normal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you very much for the responses, I appreciate it.

I was thinking that Kia may have built in some sort of break-in protection until a certain mileage is obtained.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
466 Posts
There isn't any break in protection that I am aware of. It might be that you just haven't really put your foot all the way to the floor.

As for mileage, the tank is pretty small. I fill up at 1/4 and usually can only put in 11 gallons. Wait until the next tank and then start watching. Also it seems the mileage does improve a little as you work your way up to about 10k miles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
+1 on the aftermarket radio. First you will have the option of watching DVD or other video on the screen. Updates for map may be easier to come by. There is a company called PAC that can utilize the steering wheel controls if you have them. Make sure you shop the you choose to do the install it can make all the difference.

Mine SX has 15k now and has gotten even better per my trip computer best avg is 25-26 mpg combined cty/hwy but its a bit optimistic. So lets say 24mpg and I find myself flooring it a few time each tank so I could potentially get better.

In terms of the power it being summer check the cold air theory. on a cool morning let her rip. Trust me best bank for the buck power I know. your right about the the shifting. The shifts are a bit soft for me which lessens the seat of your pants feel of the power. Defeating the traction control and using the manual mode of the auto will help you confirm what we all know this little SUV has it where it counts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

I discovered that in my gauges I have the instant MPG, as well as average MPG, and how I can turn the ECO mode off (I thought this was all for 2012 model year), so it got me excited! Turns out I am averaging 21 MPG, which is better than I thought... I thought the Sporty had a 17 gal tank, I must have been wrong.

Turned the ECO mode off, and it seems like it will now run up past 4k RPM in manual mode, and it really makes it a bunch more fun to drive! I have also had the climate control on since the moment I bought it, which of course is a power killer.

Now I am looking forward to the fall to get some of that lovely dense cool air into the motor.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
Thanks everyone.

I discovered that in my gauges I have the instant MPG, as well as average MPG, and how I can turn the ECO mode off (I thought this was all for 2012 model year), so it got me excited! Turns out I am averaging 21 MPG, which is better than I thought... I thought the Sporty had a 17 gal tank, I must have been wrong.

Turned the ECO mode off, and it seems like it will now run up past 4k RPM in manual mode, and it really makes it a bunch more fun to drive! I have also had the climate control on since the moment I bought it, which of course is a power killer.

Now I am looking forward to the fall to get some of that lovely dense cool air into the motor.
I was also surprised to see how small the gas tank is on the 2011 Sportages. I have the 2011 SX as well and it says in the manual it holds 14.5 US Gal. max. I drive a bit more "spirited" (hehe) and I average about 20 mpg city. Don't do a lot of long highway driving so can't speak to that.

As far as I have a read: ECO mode in 2011 Sportages is just a "dummy light" to let you know when you're driving optimally in regards to max mpg. The 2012s on the other hand: Eco mode changes all kinds of engine/computer related stuff to MAKE you get the best MPG. So, yeah, in a 2012 it will "kill power" to get bett MPG. But, nothing as far as I've read, happens when it's on for 2011 models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts