Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX 6M 5-door
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off. Is there a way to disable traction control? If you lose traction on some sand you are bogged down and the car can't get out of it's own way. It's dangerous. Is there a fuse? I can't find one.

The windshield washer nozzles miss large portions if the windshield. I can deal with this.

How can I eliminate the hesitation on the one two shift? It's very annoying. I don't want a computer telling me what I can and can't do with the little power this car has.

the power windows don't work long enough after turning off the engine and don't work forever with the key in accessory position. Very annoying but probably more so with a push button start.

Why the dash sound like it is falling apart when riding on rough roads? The car seems generally well built but this rattling is very annoying and apparently a common problem.

The fuel economy is very good. I don't know why people complain. I get better mpg than my old tdi jetta. But only on the highway.

Don't buy black. The paint in this car gets scratches way too easily.

What is that cube storage thing by the radio? I can't for the the life of me figure out what I'm supposed to put in there.

Will any 14" wheels clear the brakes? I don't want 16s and would happily trade them for 14 inch.

Where are the performance upgrades in north America?

How can I remove the manual shift knob?

The air con works really well and doesn't seem to have much effect on performance or fuel economy.

Why does the horn for remote lock sound so pathetic?

What's the point of a push button hatch button?

That's all for now. Hopefully I fuel some Conversation on here now

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 LX+, Manual, Red
8 Posts
Hmmm my dash dosen't rattle and I drive on gravel roads from time to time.

As for that little cube storage thing, it fits a pack of gum on an angle... so I keep a pack of gum there haven't found anything better to put there yet :D

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
First off. Is there a way to disable traction control? If you lose traction on some sand you are bogged down and the car can't get out of it's own way. It's dangerous. Is there a fuse? I can't find one.
Have you tried the TC Off button?

The windshield washer nozzles miss large portions if the windshield. I can deal with this.
You can redirect the nozzles with a pin. Put the pin in the hole, then point the entire apparatus at the spot you want the spray to go.

How can I eliminate the hesitation on the one two shift? It's very annoying. I don't want a computer telling me what I can and can't do with the little power this car has.
The synchro has to spin down to half the speed of first gear, for it to go into second. This seems to take awhile on all Kia manual transmissions. And its not too quick on the auto's, either. Its just one of those things.
My Octavia (VW Gearbox) is actually rather quick, and this surprised me more than anything else.

the power windows don't work long enough after turning off the engine and don't work forever with the key in accessory position. Very annoying but probably more so with a push button start.
What car did you drive before the Rio?
It seems long enough for me. That being said, if I want the windows down and the key out I more often than not just put them all the way down and be done with it.

Why the dash sound like it is falling apart when riding on rough roads? The car seems generally well built but this rattling is very annoying and apparently a common problem.
Apparently there's a TSB on this.

Will any 14" wheels clear the brakes? I don't want 16s and would happily trade them for 14 inch.
I think the stock steel wheels are 15". I wouldn't try putting anything smaller than 15" on it.
Find someone who has a set of 14's and try them on it.

How can I remove the manual shift knob?
Does it screw off?
How about a clip?

Why does the horn for remote lock sound so pathetic?
At least you get one, in the US markets.

What's the point of a push button hatch button?
Picture this:
You're walking up to your car, keys in hand. You need to open the boot up but your arms are full of shopping. Press and hold the button, and the boot opens. You don't have to unlock it (either one or two presses, depending on computer settings) and open it whilst you have your hands full and everything is falling everywhere. :)
I use mine all the time.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
407 Posts
dash rattle will be repaired at dealer under a TSB.

agree that the black paint seems to be garbage... a very minor rub of a soft bag left a nice white scratch. tried it out on my mazda with the same bag (old car so don't care) and no scratch marks at all.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts

to supplement what's been said, sounds like you need to sit down and thoroughly read your owner's manual or you can download it from KIA Canada's website in pdf format - makes it easy to find things on the computer :D

It's not traction control its ESC (electronic stability control) page 4/59-60 in your manual. The situations you mention also similar in snow, is the reason it has a off button (page 2/2) left side of steering wheel next to your instrument panel adjustment switch.

power windows - (page 4/23) ignition switch must be in the ON position for the power windows to operate, not accessory. They can be operated for approximately 30 seconds after the ignition key is removed or turned to ACC or LOCK position. However, if the front doors are opened, the power windows cannot be operated even within the 30 second period.

my Soul works the same way and so did my Rondo before that.

In checking the manual I also noticed reference to the "hole" in the dash and apparently its a feature that must be not available in this market. See 4/98 in the manual I'm sure that's the slot.

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
What is that cube storage thing by the radio? I can't for the the life of me figure out what I'm supposed to put in there.
My guess is that it is a convenient way to break up a rather large empty space in the dash. I recall, although I can't remember where, seeing a drawing depicting a plastic "picture frame" in that spot. So I for one appreciate the little cube. My girlfriend has allergies and although I keep a box of tissues on the floor in the back, it is not always quickly accessible so I stuff 4 or 5 tissues in the cube for rapid access.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
the TSB for the RIO Instrument panel pad noise repair is #086 dated December 2011 for 2012 Rio and applied to vehicles from the start of production to November 11, 2011 that may experience a squeaking, rubbing or creaking noise.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm aware there is a traction control button. I just don't want to push it every time I get in. and broken traction for one millionth of a second means the traction control prevents you from accelerating. worse system ever.

my previous car was wrx sti.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I'm aware there is a traction control button. I just don't want to push it every time I get in. and broken traction for one millionth of a second means the traction control prevents you from accelerating. worse system ever.

my previous car was wrx sti.
its a ESC (Electronic Stability Control) button not Traction control (that can't be shut off), they are two different things. You don't need the ESC button off for normal use only in the case of when you get stuck in snow or sand as you mention.
The only time I've turned it off was to rock the car in trying to get out of some deep snow.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Traction control you cant switch off. Many countries have it as a design law to allow new cars to be sold in the country with many more moving towards it. You can limit it but cant switch it off entirely. If anything, you can delay it.

Its holmagalation laws or whatever its called.

Power windows are also in it too. Most countries have it for health and security reasons after engine shut off you have 30seconds to put your windows up. Same as engine immobilizers and air bags.

Its not design flaws, its Kia building their cars to many international standards.

Shift hesitation, learn to shift yourself. The shift indicators in our Kia's are for economy driving. If you want a more sportier drive hold out longer to use the Kia's second set of shift points that have you sitting in the middle of the torque spread. Shift from 1st-2nd at around 4k-4.5k to get the Kia to use its other set of shift points. With the drop into 2nd you come in at the start of the strongest point of the Kia's torque spread.

Aftermarket stuff; its brand new. Wait until the Veloster Turbo has come to market and then there will be many parts available to Hyundai and Kia owners; we share the same engine

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if I push the traction control button, or whatever you want to call it, I can light the tires up just like a car without a traction system. so pushing the button disables it. and the push button hatch. I mean having the push button instead of a traditional handle. both require you to physically open the hatch but one is more complicated electronically

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
Its not really more complicated electrically, because the boot lock is electronically controlled.

It is my understanding that when the boot is "locked", it simply just doesn't open it. I.E. There's no actual LOCK... It just sits there and doesn't open itself.

The boot release just unlocks it without having to unlock the car.
In mum's '06 sedan, the only way to unlock the boot is with the key itself. Which means you have to turn the car off, take the key out, unlock/open the boot then restart the car.
I mean... If nothing else if you have the button its better, right? :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts