1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Kia Sportage
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. Long time no see. :)

I have a couple of weird issues.

Let's start with the resistance. While going along the highway, and I approach a large hill, I usually throw my manual into neutral and coast down. I've noticed recently that now my Sporty actually slows down while coasting downhill. No matter of weight, cargo, or anything, it will slow down. We're also talking large hills here in the Rocky Mountains. It doesn't add up at all.

What are some things to look for with this problem? What's the easiest way to check each thing?

Secondly, I think my lifters are being noisy. I've added a video of what it sounds like. It's much noisier after a long drive. Is this actually the lifters? How bad is it to get down to them to check/repair/replace them? Any tutorials?

http://youtu.be/nTPfddlFusA

Thanks for any help you can give!

John

1996 4 door 4WD 118,000 miles.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Sounds like more than just lifters; maybe piston slap? Does your car use any oil?

If it is the lifters, they're easy to adjust. Check camshaft bearings at the same time.

It's never a good idea to coast down mountains. You need to have a degree of engine braking and the ability to accelerate out of trouble.

As for the abnormal slowing down, check for dragging brakes. If things are as bad as you report, something will be getting hot. Handbrake adjustment?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts