Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody

I have a problem with a 2001 Rio My daughter broke the key off in the ignition and cant get it to turn now We are about 30 miles from a locksmith So I was going to take the key tumbler out and just take it into town since we cant find a locksmith to come out But I can not figure out how to get it out I have tried to search the forum and couldn't find anything I would love any help I can get from you thanks again

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
151 Posts
Call your local tow truck and tell them you have a broken key in the ignition and they will come out with a special tool that threads into the key slot and pull it out.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
I don't know where you live but if your in the usa try loging onto kiatechinfo and register it's free in the usa for service info http://www.kiatechinfo.com/. is there no way to get the broken part of the key out get creative if you can? I never removed the ign switch from my 02 rio but i did have one broke of in the door and a couple of jewlers screwdrivers an a small paper clip got it out. anyhow my kia service book says to remove the steering wheel and then remove the plastic housing to get at the key switch and tumbler to remove it. Good luck with it. Reguard's ronjohn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tried to get onto Kia tech info but when I try to
Agree to the privacy stuff the link is dead so thy won't let me
Join. Thanks for help so far guys I will try them again
I figured it would be a little easier to pull the tumblers than having to
Pull the steering wheel. I have about 20 dental picks and a host of
Screwdrivers just can't get it to back out. It is broken past some tumblers
So hard to hold them to the side and pull the key

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Im not sure do you think you can get the plastic cover off without removing the wheel give it a try if you can good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts