Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
That depends. How many miles are on your car? What is included in their "tune-up" package?

On modern cars like your Soul, a "Tune-Up" basically consists of new plugs and a new air filter. Although the manual shows 100K miles for plugs, I replaced mine at 60K. But, there are numerous "add-ons", some worthwhile, some that just pad the store owner's yacht fund. Some packages, like 15K, 30K, 45K, 60K miles etc, also include oil/filter change.

If you are at 60K miles or above, some helpful items would be transmission flush and brake fluid flush (especially since you are 5 years+). If you are running the original coolant and are getting close to 100K miles, I would change that, too.

The "Fuel Additives" are basically a $5 bottle of Techron that they charge you $20 for. Buy several at WalMart and put a bottle in once every month or two.

If I was at 7 years/ 80K-100K miles, was planning to keep the car for several years, and wanted a good preventive maintenance visit, I would ask for the following:

Oil change and Filter
Transmission Flush
Coolant Flush (if it hasn't been done already)
Brake Fluid Flush
New Spark Plugs (NGK Iridium like what came with it)
New Engine Air Filter
New Cabin Air Filter
Tire Rotation / Brake inspection
Various "29-Point Inspections" they usually do at every visit anyway

For this, I would expect to pay a dealer around $450-$500. If you are not having the coolant flushed, subtract $100-$125. (If you have a good private shop you trust, their price may be a little less).

Is there anything on their package that I didn't list?

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That depends. How many miles are on your car? What is included in their "tune-up" package?

On modern cars like your Soul, a "Tune-Up" basically consists of new plugs and a new air filter. Although the manual shows 100K miles for plugs, I replaced mine at 60K. But, there are numerous "add-ons", some worthwhile, some that just pad the store owner's yacht fund. Some packages, like 15K, 30K, 45K, 60K miles etc, also include oil/filter change.

If you are at 60K miles or above, some helpful items would be transmission flush and brake fluid flush (especially since you are 5 years+). If you are running the original coolant and are getting close to 100K miles, I would change that, too.

The "Fuel Additives" are basically a $5 bottle of Techron that they charge you $20 for. Buy several at WalMart and put a bottle in once every month or two.

If I was at 7 years/ 80K-100K miles, was planning to keep the car for several years, and wanted a good preventive maintenance visit, I would ask for the following:

Oil change and Filter
Transmission Flush
Coolant Flush (if it hasn't been done already)
Brake Fluid Flush
New Spark Plugs (NGK Iridium like what came with it)
New Engine Air Filter
New Cabin Air Filter
Tire Rotation / Brake inspection
Various "29-Point Inspections" they usually do at every visit anyway

For this, I would expect to pay a dealer around $450-$500. If you are not having the coolant flushed, subtract $100-$125. (If you have a good private shop you trust, their price may be a little less).

Is there anything on their package that I didn't list?

Hope this helps.

For $540 it was plugs (I assume the same kind that it came with but didnt ask) coolant flush, and trans flush and hose and belt inspection.

·
Registered
139 Posts
For $540 it was plugs (I assume the same kind that it came with but didnt ask) coolant flush, and trans flush and hose and belt inspection.
$540 seems quite steep for coolant flush ($100-$125 at many shops), Trans flush (again, $125-$150) and 4 spark plugs ($10 each plus labor).

Ask them to price the list I gave you and see how much they want. Anything much more than ~$500-$550 should be an indication they are charging too much.

·
Super Moderator
9,200 Posts
To avoid folks here guessing, post an image of the written quote (with personal details obscured).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
ron1004
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing