Kia Forum banner

Correct Tyre pressues

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Wry 'Cuda 
#1 ·
Gidday,

Can members here advise what pressure they run on the 16" Tyres especially here in Aust. The book says 32PSI but I run mine at 35PSI although there is usually one to 2 people in the car at a time.

Tyre places allways tell me to go 2-3psi above what is recommended.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome

Kiwalian

#3 ·
KIA manual says 32 PSI for all load conditions. I have always run 36 PSI (measured cold); 32 PSI seems a bit soggy, and with 36 PSI, a little loss of pressure between top-ups doesn't matter.

At 36 PSI, I've found no evidence of uneven wear. I've been using same pressure in our Mazda6 for many years. Mazda6 has same tyre size and is similar weight to Cerato. Mazda manual advises considerable extra pressure in the rears for maximum load (+ 4 PSI, I think).

#5 ·
Kia is the Manufacturer. The Official PSI of the Tyres is in the Owners Manual and also on the Drivers Door, Pillar.

As you well notice, Mechanic Shops will differ with the Official Position of Auto Manufacturers.

It will be your personal decision what you do. There are Pro's and Con's of your decision.

#6 ·
When I switched to Goodyear Comfortreds, at door pillar pressure (32psi?) the new tires rode onto the sidewall by about a 1/4 inch. At 35, the rode squarely onto the tread when warmed up. I simply drove warmed tires on dusty driveway and looked at the sidewall to tread discoloration. So far after 8000 miles they are still wearing evenly.

When I asked the dealer if 35 was ok they simply replied "Meh."

#8 · (Edited)
As mentioned in a previous post, the Mazda6 tyre pressures are 32/32 on the placard, but the manual recommends increased pressures for full load. Strangely, this only seems to apply in countries other than Australia. Typically, it's 35/39 for full load. One tyre size (195/65-15) apparently requires 35/44 PSI for full load, but this may be an error. Oh yes, and they specify adding 5 PSI for high speeds (200+ km/h). Unclear whether this is in addition to the full load specification.

This illustrates that tyre pressures are somewhat of a moveable feast, and remember, the Mazda6 is very close in weight to the Cerato (Forte). Only major difference is Mazda6 has IRS, but the rear wheels don't suffer from excessive camber at any load, a factor that might influence rear tyre pressure specification.

What is a full load? Mazda manual suggests 5 people @ 75kg = 375kg. I've driven the Cerato with 2 hefty people and 210kg luggage = 400kg, and it certainly feels like a full load; 36 PSI was OK for this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.