Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Not sure what this has to do with the Sorento...but....

I'm not a big fan of Cooper. They've made significant investment in Chinese tire companies and generate 25% of their revenue from the PRC. The PRC has been engaged in predatory pricing in an attempt to make it financially unfeasible to produce passenger tires in North America.

I'll be doing my tire shopping elsewhere.

From wikipedia:

In December 2003 Cooper agreed to a joint venture with Kenda Rubber Industrial Company, to construct a tire-manufacturing plant near Shanghai.

In January 2005 Cooper agreed to purchase 11% of the Kumho Tires Company, and also announced the formation of a new commercial division encompassing both Oliver Rubber Company and commercial tires.

In October 2005 Cooper announced an agreement to obtain 51% ownership in China’s third largest tire manufacturer, Cooper Chengshan (Shandong) Passenger Tire Company Ltd., and Cooper Chengshan (Shandong) Truck Tire Company Ltd., to produce truck and passenger car tires for mainland Chinese and export markets.[4] Two of the businesses of the joint venture are Cooper Chengshan Passenger Tire, and Cooper Chengshan Tire.[5] In 2007 Cooper set up a manufacturing venture in eastern China with Kenda Rubber Industrial Company, a company based in the Republic of China on Taiwan. Cooper generates 25% of its global sales in the People's Republic of China.[4] In 2007 Cooper sold its Oliver Rubber Company subsidiary, which produced tread rubber and retreading equipment, to Michelin for $69 million.[6][7]​

This appears to just be a not-so-stealthy advertising post and the link doesn't even work. They're not even available in the 235/60/R18 size required by my Sorento. Lame.

However, the Goodyear Assurance CS Tripletred and Yokohama Parada Spec-X are both available in "our" size and get very good survey ratings from folks who actually bought them on tirerack.com.

Best,

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure that Cooper is not the only major tire company with ties to China, & Europe. That doesn't mean the tires we get from them, or other companies in the USA are made there,,, Their main plant is in Ohio, with other distrbuting plants throughout the USA. I do believe the Cooper tires consumed in the USA, are made here as well.

I'm not associated with Cooper, but if I find an item that gives me good service (actually exceptional service), at a reasonable price, I try to return the favor by promoting it, before it's pushed out of the mainstream, & eventually fades away. There's been too much of that happening lately That's how we lost some well made, and, or well known brand name items in the past. That is why we can only find the cheaply foriegn made mock items of those nowadays.

Yes, I agree with you, there are some better made tires out there, but you could spend a fortune (trial & error) till you find the one that matches all your specific needs.

Yokohama makes some great tires! but, are mostly useless in the snow from reviews I've read.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Why did you even post this here if this tire is not available in the size relevant to the Sorento? The reviews for the tires I mentioned above seem to indicate that they are great in the snow, offer good wear, and have low road noise (one of my most important criteria). You might want to do a little more research before doing us any more "favors". :)

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Not sure what this has to do with the Sorento...but....

I'm not a big fan of Cooper. They've made significant investment in Chinese tire companies and generate 25% of their revenue from the PRC. The PRC has been engaged in predatory pricing in an attempt to make it financially unfeasible to produce passenger tires in North America.

I'll be doing my tire shopping elsewhere.

From wikipedia:

In December 2003 Cooper agreed to a joint venture with Kenda Rubber Industrial Company, to construct a tire-manufacturing plant near Shanghai.

In January 2005 Cooper agreed to purchase 11% of the Kumho Tires Company, and also announced the formation of a new commercial division encompassing both Oliver Rubber Company and commercial tires.

In October 2005 Cooper announced an agreement to obtain 51% ownership in China’s third largest tire manufacturer, Cooper Chengshan (Shandong) Passenger Tire Company Ltd., and Cooper Chengshan (Shandong) Truck Tire Company Ltd., to produce truck and passenger car tires for mainland Chinese and export markets.[4] Two of the businesses of the joint venture are Cooper Chengshan Passenger Tire, and Cooper Chengshan Tire.[5] In 2007 Cooper set up a manufacturing venture in eastern China with Kenda Rubber Industrial Company, a company based in the Republic of China on Taiwan. Cooper generates 25% of its global sales in the People's Republic of China.[4] In 2007 Cooper sold its Oliver Rubber Company subsidiary, which produced tread rubber and retreading equipment, to Michelin for $69 million.[6][7]​

This appears to just be a not-so-stealthy advertising post and the link doesn't even work. They're not even available in the 235/60/R18 size required by my Sorento. Lame.

However, the Goodyear Assurance CS Tripletred and Yokohama Parada Spec-X are both available in "our" size and get very good survey ratings from folks who actually bought them on tirerack.com.

Best,
While this is true, the Cooper CS4s, both H and V rated, are manufactured in the USA. Although Cooper does have foreign interests, the CS4 is a good tire that is made in the US by a company based in the US. For someone who wants a good tire and wants to buy American, this is a homerun.

The CS4 is available in the 235/65/17 run the LX Sorentos.

I have installed Coopers on hundreds of vehicles, and have them on my own(although not CS4s), and from my experience they are excellent tires for the money.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I have installed Coopers on hundreds of vehicles, and have them on my own(although not CS4s), and from my experience they are excellent tires for the money.
Which brings us back to....this tire isn't available in the size consumed by the Sorento. Personally, I'm fond of wines from Chateau St. Michelle. They're of high quality and produced right here in the US of A. I've recommended hundreds of bottles and probably consumed almost as many with a great deal of satisfation/success/economy. Figured I'd add that in since other Sorento owners might be interested in additional irrelevant (to the Sorento) products in our fine forum. :) :)

Best,

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra,2008 Impala LT
98 Posts
The 235/65/17 is the standard for the 2012 Sorento LX.Sauron is sleeping on the job again!

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
The 235/65/17 is the standard for the 2012 Sorento LX.Sauron is sleeping on the job again!
I have been rather sleepy without power during Sandy. They are indeed available in that size. If you've got a base LX, enjoy.

For everyone else...not so much. :)

When I need tires, I'm going for either the Yokohamas or the Goodyear Tripletreds.

Best,

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why did you even post this here if this tire is not available in the size relevant to the Sorento? The reviews for the tires I mentioned above seem to indicate that they are great in the snow, offer good wear, and have low road noise (one of my most important criteria). You might want to do a little more research before doing us any more "favors". :)
Sauron,
Excuse me for trying to help, and wasting a post, not realizing that there were limited sizes for the Sorento, but then again it was only wasted on you because apparently your mind is already made up,,, good luck with your choice. As far as the Goodyear tripletreads go, reviewers say they're noisy, & make sure you get the latest design tread, because early designs were not that good in all weather, just read the tire test results at the tire rack.

By the way, does your name really mean "Sour One" in german?,,,:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts