Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Thanks for the link, but there are no specifics. What model Cooper tires and as some others said in the Hyundasi forum thread, they don't even make 18" Coopers for a Sportage size, and that came from a guy working in the Hyundai service department, which mentioned they use Bridgestone, which is odd as I thought all of the recent year Hyundais and Kias use Kumhos.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Cool thanks. Any idea on the cost of these 235/55/18 in either T or H/V rated?

I was just looking on TireRack.com and the OEM Hankook Optimos are much cheaper than local places here if someone is looking to upgrade rims and stick with the OEM tires.

Is it possible to swap say 245/40/18s for the 235/55/18s? Reason I ask is there are BF Goodrich Radial T/As in that size for under $100 a pop which is almost half the price of the Hankook tires and are probably better made if BF Goodrich is still made in America.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts

I was just looking on TireRack.com and the OEM Hankook Optimos are much cheaper than local places here if someone is looking to upgrade rims and stick with the OEM tires.

Is it possible to swap say 245/40/18s for the 235/55/18s? Reason I ask is there are BF Goodrich Radial T/As in that size for under $100 a pop which is almost half the price of the Hankook tires and are probably better made if BF Goodrich is still made in America.
245/40/18s would be way too short, over 2 inches shorter overall. A good option size would be 255/50/18, as it is only about 1/8" shorter overall.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
When you say short are you talking width wise or lower profile shorter? If anything I'd prefer to go a bit wider than stock as well as lower profile. I'd like a 50 profile or lower and slightly wider than the 235 width of the stock OEMs.

How about 265/50/18s then if I go with 50 series?

I remember I had an old Tercel that had I think 135/75/13s and I put on 205/60/13s with no problem and the wider tires gave it a much more aggressive stance. Looking to do something similar with the Sportage EX

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Is there a formula conversion chart to determine this? I know the middle number is a percentage of the tire width in mm. Were you doing straight math to figure this or is there a quick and easy app online?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Is there a formula conversion chart to determine this? I know the middle number is a percentage of the tire width in mm. Were you doing straight math to figure this or is there a quick and easy app online?
There are converters everywhere on the Internet, but it's so easy, you may as well "Do The Math" yourself.

e.g. for 265/50-18

18 inch wheel = 18 X 25.4 = 457.2 mm

Width of tyre = 265 mm
Tyre profile = 50%, so 265 X 0.50 = 132.5 mm

Overall height = 457.2 + 132.5 + 132.5 = 722.2 mm or 722.2/25.4 = 28.43 inches.

Deeper treads will add a bit to this.

Effective diameter will be about 97% of the nominal diameter, so final drive revs per km will be:

1000/0.7222/0.97/3.1416 = 454 (or 1.609 X 454 = 730 Revs/Mile)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The stock Hankook Optimo's are one of the worst rated tires at the tirerack, check out the survey for them there. Even the crappy rated Kumho Solus KL21 (stock tires on my old 2010 Tucson GLS) are rated better. Snow stuck in the threads makes both of these become slicks! :eek:

I had BFG Radial T/A's on my old 88' Monte Carlo SS, IMO they were the best performance tire made, until they merged with Uniroyal, & Michelin, and changed the thread a little, then they lost a lot of their all weather ability. IMO, They are the best looking perf. tire, but I'd never buy them again! :(

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you say short are you talking width wise or lower profile shorter? If anything I'd prefer to go a bit wider than stock as well as lower profile. I'd like a 50 profile or lower and slightly wider than the 235 width of the stock OEMs.

How about 265/50/18s then if I go with 50 series?

I remember I had an old Tercel that had I think 135/75/13s and I put on 205/60/13s with no problem and the wider tires gave it a much more aggressive stance. Looking to do something similar with the Sportage EX
For winter weather, a narrower tire then stock is better, not a wider one. The EX has a pretty wide tire as it is 235/55/18" You'll end up "floating", instead of "gripping" in the snow.

You may even have clearance problems with tires that wide. The Sportage/Tucson doesn't have much tire clearance as it is.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
Thanks for the link on the Coopers. I am still on my stock Optimos, and they are at 7/32 at only 15,000km. I know i drive my car a little harder than average, but even my 40 profile tires on my last car which had over 300lb/ft of torque to the front wheels were lasting longer than these, and I drove that car HARD.

If these Coopers are as good as they are rated, I will definitely check them out.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the link on the Coopers. I am still on my stock Optimos, and they are at 7/32 at only 15,000km. I know i drive my car a little harder than average, but even my 40 profile tires on my last car which had over 300lb/ft of torque to the front wheels were lasting longer than these, and I drove that car HARD.

If these Coopers are as good as they are rated, I will definitely check them out.
The trouble with the Hankooks on the Sportage, & Kumho's I had on my 2010 Tucson, is they wear out too fast. I had to replace my Kumho's 225/60/17", at 17k miles! :mad:
The Hankooks on this new to me Sportage EX 235/55/18" still have about 1/2 life left at 23k? But, the worst thing is, each of these tire brands look like summer tires now, 4 rain grooves, and very little siping, or tread pattern left. In snow, slush, ice, the rain grooves fill up, and they become slicks! :eek:

The Coopers have tenacious traction all around, & keep your steering wheel centered (it might be the firm sidewall), but are the smoothest, quietest tire I ever had. Plus, I never lost any gas mileage, in fact I think I gained a bit,,, go figure :)

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
Tyre size queries? Use a tool like this: Tire size calculator to help get the right size for your car. I have found this to be pretty useful in the past.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Crosstrek Limited w/ Nav/Sunroof in Orange
96 Posts
The stock Hankook Optimo's are one of the worst rated tires at the tirerack, check out the survey for them there. (
After 19K miles on those tires, I will admit they are sketchy at best in rainy weather and snow.

I been shopping for a deal on Winter tires that can buy me some time with the stock tires, so that a) I have enough thread left to return the vehicle with at 45K miles in June 2014, and b) a winter tire that won't leave me dead somewhere off the side of a snowy mountain road like the stock tires likely will do.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Afer 19K miles on those tires, I will admit they are sketchy at best in rainy weather and snow.

I been shopping for a deal on Winter tires that can buy me some time with the stock tires, so that a) I have enough thread left to return the vehicle with at 45K miles in June 2014, and b) a winter tire that won't leave me dead somewhere off the side of a snowy mountain road like the stock tires likely will do.
I see you're from NE PA, like me, Milford. I hear you, for dedicated winter tires, my choice would be the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow at the tire rack. In the winter truck section. Some people use them year round because they hold up well. The surveys, & reviews are better then most.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
For winter weather, a narrower tire then stock is better, not a wider one. The EX has a pretty wide tire as it is 235/55/18" You'll end up "floating", instead of "gripping" in the snow.

You may even have clearance problems with tires that wide. The Sportage/Tucson doesn't have much tire clearance as it is.
I live in Florida, i.e. No Snow. Summer tires 24/7, 12 months a year down here.

What's the best deal for the Coopers CS4s?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know who's got the best price? I just bought them Wednesday, locally, no rebate :(

You might try here:
Tires | Tread Depot
By the way, there's a rebate from Cooper $50 valid here only till Nov.30

The Sportage has suddenly become more sporty with them! ;)
the car feels very eager, & agile, with them, sort of unsprung. Yet, it rides smoother, & quieter then the stock Hankook Optimo's. Even the steering springs back more on center. I suddenly get the urge to go out, & do the slalom. I know they handle great in the dry, & wet, from previous sets I had, but not sure about snow, slush, & ice yet, but they do have an aggressive thread, and think they'll do better then most all seasons.

Pix to follow soon. Good Luck! Mike

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX
172 Posts
Just trying to figure out if these are $100 a pop tires or more like the overly expensive Hankooks at $180 a piece. What did it cost YOU per tire if you don't mind. Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts