Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed I need to replace the termostat in my 2000 Sporty. It won't warm up past 1/4 on the gauge when it's cold out.

My question is when I change out the termostat and refill the radiator, will it self-purge any air in the sytem? Or is there a bleeder screw somewhere or some way to burp the air out?

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Don't always count on gauge ,double check with thermometer.
Install 195 degree thermostat.
Never add cold water to a hot engine, bad things happen.
Should be self purging never had a problem with mine. Just add coolant slowly to allow air to escape.
Install in the correct direction with new gasket. will overheat if installed incorrectly.

chief

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't always count on gauge ,double check with thermometer.
Install 195 degree thermostat.
Never add cold water to a hot engine, bad things happen.
Should be self purging never had a problem with mine. Just add coolant slowly to allow air to escape.
Install in the correct direction with new gasket. will overheat if installed incorrectly.

chief
Tested the gauge by monitoring live data on my scan tool and is reading correctly. It's deffinately the thermostat. When cold outside it will eventually fully warm up if sitting long enough or parked, but doesn't stay warmed up when moving. It's cold in the mornings, but not THAT cold.

Yay, glad it self purges (purging without a bleeder screw is not fun). Thanks for the info, especially the temp range (didn't know if I needed the 180 or the 195).

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Just top-up several times over the next few days; last time I refilled, it took an extra 1 litre after the initial fill. Operate the heater to make sure no air is trapped in that section.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts