Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 07 Rondo with a 2.6 does anyone know the location of the coolent temp switch. I feel mine needs to be rplaced due to an a/c problem. It shuts down after about 30-45 mins and blows hot air. It cools down for about 1-2 hrs and it runs fine for about 45 mins.

·
Registered
23 Posts
On a 07 Rondo with a 2.6 does anyone know the location of the coolent temp switch. I feel mine needs to be rplaced due to an a/c problem. It shuts down after about 30-45 mins and blows hot air. It cools down for about 1-2 hrs and it runs fine for about 45 mins.
Just for info, when I've encountered problems with A/C with similar symptoms - works fine for a while (30-45 minutes) then stops working, it's been because the clutch gap for the compressor has worn to a distance beyond tolerances - and when the under bonnet area gets properly heat-sinked and truly warm, the electro-magnetic clutch actuation doesn't have sufficient oomph to bridge the gap - hence warm air 'til everything cools down.

A contributory factor to this, can be A/C running with low gas pressure for a while, making the compressor cycle on and off a lot quicker than it should, and as a consequence, wearing the compressor clutch more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
collent temp switch

I thank you for your input. Is there any work aroud for this problem without replacing the compressor?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I thank you for your input. Is there any work aroud for this problem without replacing the compressor?
Well assuming it is this problem, it is something detectable.

On the the cars where I had this issue, there was just enough access to use feeler gauges / blades to measure the clutch gap for the compressor when the engine was off.

And on that particular car / compressor combination, it was possible to remove shims or washers, to close the gap. Some people managed that with the compressor still on the car - I didn't - and some people cheat a bit buy using sections of plastic or thin metal to kind of shim on the other side (ie pushing the clutch plate towards the compressor, and gluing them in.

I had the compressor removed from the car (by an A/C guy), fabricated a triangular piece of metal with holes for studs in, to use as a clutch puller, then removed various shims / washers to bring the gap into spec.

Actually that's all true - but I remember what I did first - I bought a used compressor on ebay (it was quite cheap) the clutch gap on that showed some wear, so I removed the clutch, (using the puller I fabricated) and made the clutch gap in spec. Had the compressor on the car replaced with this one I'd already sorted out, then did the same with the compressor that was removed with the car, and kept it as a spare.

I have heard about people getting that done by A/C guys - most I enquired with in England didn't seem to want to touch the problem. And garages would be more interested in selling you a new compressor.

It may not be the problem - just the 30-45 minute thing was the exact same symptom for the clutch wear problem I've seen previously - so thought it worth suggesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts