Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

This is my first post...hopefully I can find some good information from folks that know more about Kia's than I do

My girlfriend has a 2002 Kia Sportage with the 2.0L 4 Cylinder engine. She has been complaining about poor fuel mileage for some time know. When you start the car, the engine has a moderate vibration/shutter that can be felt throughout the vehicle. As I investigated, I noticed that her cooling fan is always on (only when the car is running of course.)--I think the shutter may be coming from the fan which seems to be unbalanced.

To try and get the fan to shut of, I decided to replace the coolant temperature sensor. This did NOT do what I was hoping. I still decided to test the new sensor for the heck of it. There is 5v coming from the ECU, and the ohms reading is about 2500 ohms when cold (when measured across the two terminals of the sensor) and it drops down to about 450 when the engine is fully up to temperature. So the sensor seems to be working properly. Still...could there be a bad wire to the ECU?

Maybe I am chasing something that isn't a problem. It does seem to me that fan should not always be on. That being said, it looks to be a mechanical clutch fan, and not electric. Maybe the fan is always on, I just can't be certain. She does get the service engine light that comes on from time to time; unfortunately, I haven't been able to get her to take it in to any auto parts stores to pull the code.

Any thoughts on this as far as a better way to properly check the CTS and as to whether or not that fan should always be on would be terrific.

Thank you,

Alan

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I can't imagine that a cooling fan would cause the engine to shudder. Check spark plugs, ignition lead, check for "vacuum leaks". Engines that old can have oil leaking from the valve covers that can accumulate in the spark plug wells.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum.

Agree with Wry 'Cuda on doing those basic checks - would check all ports on the Intake Manifold, including the port at the back of the Intake manifold, underneath next to the block (used for 4x4 vacuum solenoid) and make sure all hoses are secure and in good condition / all ports have a hose attached or are plugged /the cap is in good condition as well,

Oil leakage from the inside valve cover into the spark plug wells is a common problem w/ the 2.0 motor - you will need to remove the plastic center cover from the top of the valve cover (under the metal intake plenum) and remove the coil packs to inspect..

* Be careful w/ the coil pack connectors attached to the pigtail lead that runs to the back connector of the motor, if the connectors are brittle or cracked, replace that lead ( be sure you have alternate transportation available if the connectors on that lead break on removal.. )

Clean up any oil found, if considerable, use paper towels to soak up the excess oil..

Poor grounds = less power on the Sportys, so would also recommend cleaning the major ground points in the engine compartment: battery cables/terminals, bat. neg. cable to ground tray, ground tray -> frame bolts, engine ground strap from ground tray to intake manifold..

* Really need to get those codes read, they will help in diagnosing any issues: if you post the DTC codes read here on the forum, that would help us to help you.

re: mechanical fan, when the engine is cold / engine off, the fan blade should should turn with minimal resistance. when the engine is hot (normal operating temp.) checking the fan blade w/ engine off, it should be hard to turn / have a lot of resistance. (* Never check the fan blade with engine running, always engine off & key out of ignition. )

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Welcome.... The coolant sensor signals the ecm to adjust the wave fourms of the fuel injection system,also the tcm shift points if automatic.
To check the fan. With engine off and cold the fan should spin freely. With the engine hot and engine off the fan should be hard to move or not at all.
The electric fan is turn on with the a/c switch ( button). Turn off a/c and see if the stops.
If no joy a bad a/c relay or bad switch.
This site may help you with the values for the sensors.
Some e/z reading. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-YuNuTyh57XUXZKRnlLMV9sMTA&usp=sharing
chief

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the post. I did replace the plugs, and I checked the coil packs and their connections. I cleaned them up a bit, and used some electrical grease. Sure enough though, the back spark plug well had some oil in it. I'll look around for vaccuum leaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh...I did want to mention that I just checked the resistance of the fan. It is probably about 50 degrees outside, and the fan is more difficult to turn than I think it should be. I'd say moderate resistance. Id say that it probably takes ten to twelve pounds of force to move it.

Thank you,

Alan

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
It could just be that the spring on the fan clutch needs to be cleaned, but that would involve removing the fan clutch and blade assembly from the vehicle to do..

But since I haven't had a mechanical fan clutch/blade on the Sporty for some time now, I'll defer to others here in the forum for advice on this..

re: Spark plugs - if you installed at default factory gap, recommend removing and regapping to .038" - most are shipped at .044" gap, which is the (upper) limit range for the 2.0 motor.

re: checking for vacuum leaks, you will not be able to visually see the (back) vacuum port used for the 4x4 solenoid connector: you will need to reach around the back lower intake manifold and feel for it.

re: valve cover gasket, I would put that on the to-do list.. several recent posts here on how to change out, but if any questions, post back, will try to help.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
The radiator fan is one of the "weak" links on the early Sportages and most people that still own them have replaced the mechanical/temperature sensitive clutch fans with electric ones....
See..
http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/54642-electric-fan-instal.html
The old fan will be felt when it's not working properly and the clutch won't let the fan blade freewheel...
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts