Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine light on my 06 Kia Rio5 came on yesterday. I took it to the parts store today and they put the diagnostic tool on it. It said coolant temp sensor. They said they would order one for me. On the way home from there the temp gauge went nearly all the way up. (It was nearly 100 degrees out side.) Would the sensor being bad cause it to overheat, or is this a seperate problem? Is the sensor easily accressable?

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

re: coolant temp sensor affecting cooling system, "generally" No, but the ECT sensor does play a role in how the engine performs, so it may be contributing..

--
Would start with the basics: with the engine cold, key off:

** Make sure you have sufficient coolant in the system **

inspect and fill the coolant overflow tank to the (Min) or (Low) line,

remove the radiator cap and inspect coolant level in the radiator -> fill radiator with coolant to the top / where the cap sits,

If the overheat condition persists:

replace coolant with 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water,
consider a coolant flush if any slime or scaling present in the radiator or overflow tank,
consider a thermostat replacement if original,
consider having coolant flow tested -> see how the water pump is performing.

Again, I'd start by making sure coolant levels are good.

If the condition happens again while on the road, turning the heater controls to (hot), and blower to (max.) will help draw heat out of the system until you can safely pull over / let the motor cool with engine off..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts