Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After draining the coolant on a Sportage 2001 manual as part of a maintenance/service exercise, only approximately 3.5 litres of coolant was required to refill the radiator, etc. This is causing concern as the specifications listed in the owner's manual state that the volume of coolant for this particular model is 7.5 litres.

The coolant was drained as specified by opening the radiator cap (thus no vacuum was created to prevent proper coolant draining) and opeing the stopcock located at the bottom of the radiator. This was left open until no more coolant drained out. The engine was also cranked over very briefly to turn the water pump. To ensure the termostat was also open and not possible closed, draining was done with the engine at normal operating temperature. Refilling was done until the coolant level was contant at the radiator filling hole, and with the engine running the level was checked and re-filled. Even after a test drive and rechecking, both immediately after the test drive, and after cooling down, the level was constant.

Any info why the additional specified 4 litres can not be added?

Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Interesting. I use the same method EXCEPT I do it on a cold engine and I'm able to get at least 6.5 to 7 liters out.

That might be the key. When the engine is hot it might be airbound. You may want to try again on a cold engine and see what happens. If not, try compressed air to force all the coolant out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts