Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX FWD
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the coolant is low on my 2012 sorento sx with 4000 miles. What would be the best coolant to get for sorento?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,972 Posts
i would bet that if you stopped by the dealer you bought the vehicle from they would top it off for free .

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,513 Posts
I noticed the coolant is low on my 2012 sorento sx with 4000 miles. What would be the best coolant to get for sorento?
I presume you are checking it correctly as it fluctuates whether its hot or cold. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I believe the manual says any ethylene glycol coolant. When I flush mine later this year or next year I intend to just buy supertech coolant from walmart. Its something like $13 / gallon. Should be fine based on the manual. Ford and Chrysler cars require special expensive coolant (zerex g05) does not look like Hyundai/Kia cars do though.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX FWD
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have a look at it after you've driven it and the engine has warmed up. Let us know the level then.
i thought i was recommended to check the coolant level when the engine is cold? When engine is warm, it's going to give inaccurate level of reading???

·
Registered
194 Posts
i thought i was recommended to check the coolant level when the engine is cold? When engine is warm, it's going to give inaccurate level of reading???
Doesn't matter. The reservoir bottle is marked both for hot and cold level (I think, maybe that is the power steering). Either way I would just go buy some supertech ethylene glycol coolant and a gallon of distilled water. Mix up 1 quart of 50:50 and add to the overflow bottle when cold to top it off. Watch it to make sure the level isn't dropping and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX FWD
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't matter. The reservoir bottle is marked both for hot and cold level (I think, maybe that is the power steering). Either way I would just go buy some supertech ethylene glycol coolant and a gallon of distilled water. Mix up 1 quart of 50:50 and add to the overflow bottle when cold to top it off. Watch it to make sure the level isn't dropping and you should be good to go.
For coolant, it does not have separate marks for hot and cold (it does for brake fluid).

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
194 Posts
For coolant, it does not have separate marks for hot and cold (it does for brake fluid).

Thanks for your help.
Sorry about that, I think the power steering does as well. I would then drive the car until the coolant has come to temp and see where it lies. Then let it cool down and then add some mixed as I noted above. Don't mess around with the coolant while its hot. The overflow bottle shouldn't be that bad, but you never know and its not worth getting 3rd degree burns over.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX FWD
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry about that, I think the power steering does as well. I would then drive the car until the coolant has come to temp and see where it lies. Then let it cool down and then add some mixed as I noted above. Don't mess around with the coolant while its hot. The overflow bottle shouldn't be that bad, but you never know and its not worth getting 3rd degree burns over.
thanks again

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
676 Posts
That's why I asked. Coolant expands and contracts. When hot, it expands and has a higher reading. You don't want to put too much coolant in otherwise the overflow bottle gets too full and it also overflows...not a pretty picture. It's also under pressure, so be careful. Don't mess around with it when the coolant is hot. The level should normally be somewhere between the low and high marks when cold, i believe. Nothing to worry about, just check it regularly. It's a closed system so the level should not vary greatly...possibly drops a bit over a long period of time due to some evaporation.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX FWD
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I will check the level when engine is warm. Right now when it's cold, it's right at the min line

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
573 Posts
True, coolant should be checked when the engine is warm/running because if you check it when the engine is cold/off you'd be getting a low level everytime.

Since my coolant is below than normal, i topped it off by Prestone engine coolant i bought at Canadian Tire - can be added/mixed with any type of coolant. And it is bright green in color.

Now when my engine is hot and running, it shows just slightly above the high level.

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Coolants

There are several different types. Those with Silicate additives and those without. You need to identify what Kia is using.

From Popular Mechanics:

What if the system has Japanese green, Toyota red, Korean or European blue, or European yellow? As we noted, European and Korean formulas have silicates, so U.S. green or yellow/gold is all right, but it slightly compromises the extended life formulas some have. Typically all that means is: Change at 30,000 instead of 36,000 miles. The Japanese green and red antifreezes have no silicates, but they are very different from U.S. orange. If you really drain out the old antifreeze from any of these systems (thoroughly rinse the system with fresh water), you certainly can refill with a U.S. yellow/gold or green silicated antifreeze. - Popular Mechanics

1 - 16 of 16 Posts