Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just noticed that the coolant light doesn't light up when I initally start up the car. It's a 2012 Rio EX. I'm assuming that it's not normal and I should get it fixed. Maybe someone can let me know if that's normal. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after watching a couple youtube videos. It doesn't look like the coolant light comes on when you start the vehicle. Maybe some one with a US version could verify it for me.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
according to your manual on page 4/52 it states
"all warning lights are checked by turning the ignition switch ON (do not start the engine). Any light that does not illuminate should be checked by an authorized KIA dealer."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, I've read that. But after watching 4 videos on youtube where it doesn't light up I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
ask the service department at the dealership or phone KIA Motors US, they have a toll free number.

I presume you are from the US, but it would help everyone for future conversations, if you could fill out your location and DRIVES details on the left so that it shows up with every post for future conversations as this is a worldwide forum and the vehicles are not equipped the same from country to country - thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
I checked it on my car. There is no coolant light on the initial startup and I know that mine is working just fine because I had the engine overheating two times already.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio LX+
9 Posts
I have a Canadian 2012 LX+. There is no coolant light at startup and my engine hasn't overheated...yet, so I have no idea if it actually works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well first off it's pretty insane with out a temp gauge that it doesn't illuminate on initial startup. No way to know if it even works till it's too late. Secondly how have you overheated twice?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is the response,

Good Afternoon Jason,

I have been looking for a 2012 Kia Rio all day so I could double check if the coolant “idiot light” comes on when you start the car. We can’t seem to keep any on the lot so I started up a couple 2013 models. The coolant light did not come on in any of them. All of the other lights came on however, traction control, seat belt, cruise, check engine, etc. It’s safe to say that you have nothing to worry about. If you would ever like us to check any of your fluids (and top them off if needed) please feel free to stop by under the service canopy and we would be glad to do so at no cost to you. I hope you are enjoying the sun while it lasts! Take care.

Thank you,

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
With a missing temperature gauge on the LX model and in the first case a broken engine temperature sensor and in the second case a broken fan motor it happens that the car is overheating.
Each time I'm getting into heavier traffic I feel the sweat because I don't know what's happening next. It's good to have the Kia roadside assistance but it is still a painful process because those things always happen when it is least convenient.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts