Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Rondo 2009
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seriously have the blues on this one. I have an 09 Rondo with the 2.4L 4cyl (theta I think.) I cannot fix a coolant drip that seems to be coming from the thermostat housing. I've changed the thermostat twice and gasket 3 times. Today I even installed an OEM gasket and oem thermostat. I'm POSITIVE the leak is coming from the plastic thermostat neck or that bigger plastic housing that the thermostat sits in. It's dripping right where the housing bolts up. I have a new water neck on order ( part 25630-2G000.) I have pulled this thing apart 5 times and I'm sure I'm installing it correctly. The only thing I can figure is that the water neck or main housing is warped. I've ensured the thermostat is perfect in the groove and that the gasket is properly seated. Once I change the water neck when it comes in the mail, I'm going to hope and pray it's fixed. Otherwise, I'm going to use rtv gasket maker around the gasket (but that's last resort.)

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
513 Posts
Just looking at it, plastic. yuck. original fitted items I guess. I think it's reasonable to assume 3 thermostats and 2 seals, it's likely leaking elsewhere. Could be very fine cracks anywhere in that whole assembly and it's at an age that would make it worthwhile replacing the whole assembly. May just be the neck. if you can get the system pressurized that will force the leak and may assist in finding it. If it's warped a straight edge should prove it it is or not.

May even be more cost effective too to get the lot.

Camera accessory Rectangle Digital camera Video camera Camera lens

·
Registered
Rondo 2009
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that's the main assembly. I bet that's a real pain in the butt to change. If the neck doesn't fix it, I'll probably head to the dealership.

·
Registered
Rondo 2009
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just looking at it, plastic. yuck. original fitted items I guess. I think it's reasonable to assume 3 thermostats and 2 seals, it's likely leaking elsewhere. Could be very fine cracks anywhere in that whole assembly and it's at an age that would make it worthwhile replacing the whole assembly. May just be the neck. if you can get the system pressurized that will force the leak and may assist in finding it. If it's warped a straight edge should prove it it is or not.

May even be more cost effective too to get the lot.

View attachment 121704
boy do I feel stupid. I can't believe I didn't realize I could have bought the whole assembly together for that cheap. Wasted money for sure.

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
513 Posts
Yeah. Unfortunate but can often be the case. If only we knew everything . Made the same errors myself over time but you go with what makes sense and occasionally you get a curly one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts