Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento EX, 1998 Ford Mustang GT, 2011 Hyuandai Elantra
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone new to this forum. I've got a 2005 Sorento that I just recently started driving, my wife has had it since 2007. One cooler morning here recently I turned on the heat, but was not getting any. After reading here and other places, I saw to check coolant level. The car wasn't overheating or anything, and the guage was right around the middle line(I assume that is the normal reading). I added coolant and the heat started to work. However now it seems that I am leaking coolant from somewhere around the coolant reservior. I notice coolant on the reservior mounting brackets and down on futher in to the engine bay.

Since I really can't tell where the coolant is leaking from, is it possible that I just added too much coolant and this is jus the over flow being released. I really notice that it's leaking after driving it for a while. While it's parked for a while and the engine is cool, I don't see any leak. Would having too much coolant in the radiator/reservior cause it too leak while it's under pressure, and then not leak when it's cooled back down. Or does this sound like there is a crack in the reservior or in a hose somewhere. Thanks for the help guys, just trying to get a idea of what could be causing this, before I take it to the shop.

Also any ideas how much it would cost to have a pressure test done on the system? Thanks for any advice.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
You may have a reservoir with the old design. Feel underneath and if it has ribs it is the old design and prone to leak. The new design is smooth on the bottom. The cost for a new one was about $21-$30.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento EX, 1998 Ford Mustang GT, 2011 Hyuandai Elantra
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info nstoolman1, I'll have to check on that when I get home.

·
Registered
2003 Sorento 2.5 crdi XS
3 Posts
Hi All

I have this problem, however in the UK they are charging £85 for the unit, which is approximately $120 US.

Paul

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
What would it cost to ship it to you from the states if someone bought it for you? Certainly not $100.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts