Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a shocker when I took my Sorento GDI for its first oil change that the coolant reservoir had run dry and there was coolant dripping that I saw at the end of some hoses near the engine. Was told after further investigation that the thermostat or its housing needs to be replaced. The Kia dealer said they would ship the part in and it would take 3-4 days to come in.

There was no warning. I did not notice the temperature go up. Infact it was always one notch below the mid line till the night before I had a 120 miles drive. I did not find any spilled coolant at the parking spot either. I wonder what could be the reason. Could I have damaged the engine ? :eek:

Also Service Manager told be "Kia does not have loaner car policy" . Is that true ?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
It probably wasn't fully "dry", unless the temp. gauge wasn't working. Thermostat OR housing sounds fishy to me. Bad thermostat (unlikely) will lead to slow warm-up or overheating, but no leaks. Cracked housing would be leaky, but you probably would have noticed that.

Assuming that there was some coolant remaining and the temp gauge is OK, it's unlikely that the engine has been damaged. Check oil consumption over the next service interval (and I'm sure you'll be looking at the water level as well). Note that you will probably need to top up the coolant after the system is fixed; there's often a bit of air trapped after coolant service.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the thermostat housing for the Sorento... thats been ordered.
Just got off the phone with the service

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
I have seen a few t-stat housing leaking on the Sorentos. This would be the first on a GDI though. If they leak, it is usually so slow that the coolant dries before it can run done and drip. If it didn't overheat, let them replace the housing and it will be fine.

Kia does not cover rentals, and loaners are dealer owned and given out at their discretion. Most times they do not have enough loaner cars to keep everyone happy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This turned out to be a bad gasket. Took them 5 days to find that it was just a gasket issue after taking in the car on Friday. They just casually diagnosed it as a housing issue and i guess only opened the housing when the parts came. I am pissed for losing time from work , no loaner car....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts