Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 KIA Rio LX Midnight Black.. CAI.. 6000k HID..
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my '10 lx says low coolant, so i wonder if a drain and fill or a flush is recommended? or does it matter? i know a flush can ruin the engine, i have almost 40,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2009 Rio5 :)
33 Posts
You might want to find out where that coolant is going first. It is a pressurized closed system. If it's running low, you need to track that down first.

For now, just add coolant till full, and watch for leakes; see how long it takes to run low again.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
my '10 lx says low coolant, so i wonder if a drain and fill or a flush is recommended? or does it matter? i know a flush can ruin the engine, i have almost 40,000 miles on it.
Is the loss of coolant sudden, or is it just a slow natural usage over time, due to minor leaks, evaporation etc.? First thing is to top it up with coolant and look for leaks or abnormal usage. i.e. Don't flush and refill with fresh coolant until you know the system is sound.

I can't imagine why a flush would "ruin an engine" as you suggest. Provided you don't add cold water to a hot engine, there's not much that can wrong.

Quite a few posts on coolant lately. Caution: Ethylene Glycol is sweet and toxic; watch out that the dog doesn't drink the waste coolant.

·
Registered
2010 KIA Rio LX Midnight Black.. CAI.. 6000k HID..
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i didnt check the coolant level when i bought the car but i have been putting a large amount of miles on it since i got it, 25000 a year, and just now changed the plugs and synthetic oil and noticed the coolant. No leaks, everything else runs fine. also what type of coolant?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Normally something like 4 years or 60,000 km is recommended for replacing coolant.

If the cooling system needs topping up, I usually add a small amount of distilled water. If it needs a significant amount of water, there are leaks. Heater tubing and water pump are places to look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts