Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at my overflow tank on my Sedona and its almost below the low line for the second time.

I wasn't driving it the last 2 weeks but am sending it to the dealer to recheck if there's a leak and add some coolant because were driving a thousand miles with it this weekend.

Should I ask for some sort of warranty extension if this keeps happening till 100k kilometers, or do all the sedonas burn/loose their antifreeze?

Seems like it spends an overflow tank in coolant over 16k miles as its almost at the bottom now and it was even lower than that (to the bottom tube of the overflow tank when I decided to add some and get it checked sameweek by the dealership) the first time I noticed it around second/third oil change

They have put dye in the overflow tank but it seems to float on top (so actually, if we remove the floating dye, it is lower than the low line). Wondering, how will the dye do its job in showing the leak if its floating on top of the system, probably not being circulated much.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
718 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen in a previous vehicle I owned. I had to keep adding coolant to the overflow tank. No apparent leaks.

I ended up needing a new engine.

I not saying you need a new engine, but it could be a very serious issue.

Get this diagnosed and fixed ASAP

Richard

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,751 Posts
You need a shop with the skills and equipment to do a series of tests, because if there's no external signs of a leak then it's got to be internal - they should check for combustion gas in the coolant reservoir, pressure decay test, operating pressure and temperature.

In addition to an internal leak, it could be the cap not holding pressure.

Is the thermostat working - does it get to operating temperature quickly and hold there?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes the said they tested for noX and noack in combustion gases, I think? not sure what exactly

in the winter it wont get hot fast enough to my taste 10 minutes on the highway minimum.

just bought some green coolant at autozone but only needed a liter or so to fill the expansion tank half way.

radiator cap doesnt seem to leak when i open the hood and the car is hot.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
What Ron said...

And it can be even more serious than that...

You could have a defective or blown Head Gasket.

The Head Gasket provides a seal between the engine block and the cylinder heads. It also allows the flow of both oil and coolant.

A failed head gasket can lead to a situation where coolant is being burned in your combustion chambers, so you may not see any leaks.

This is also very bad for your catalytic converter and other emissions-related components, which can be ruined by the byproducts of burned coolant.

It is also possible for some of the coolant to leak into your crankcase, mixing with your engine oil and causing further issues.

A head gasket is very expensive to replace, so you want to get it fixed while still under warranty.

So in situations where there is a visible leak (e.g. overflow tank, radiator hose, radiator cap), it is fairly easy to diagnose and is an inexpensive fix.

But its when you can't find any apparent leaks anywhere that you have to start worrying.

Richard

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
yes the said they tested for noX and noack in combustion gases, I think? not sure what exactly
Always good to list what's been checked.

Also, you need to be sure what has been done - no point in us offering suggestions otherwise.
radiator cap doesnt seem to leak when i open the hood and the car is hot.
Is it maintaining the correct pressure in the system?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I first thought it was the headgasket too and I guess they wont see it till they open it. from day 1 there has been quite a lot of white smoke at startups (dismissed as condensation by the dealer) white smoke is less visible after a drive, if any

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
I first thought it was the headgasket too and I guess they wont see it till they open it. from day 1 there has been quite a lot of white smoke at startups (dismissed as condensation by the dealer) white smoke is less visible after a drive, if any
Suitably equipped and qualified mechanics can do checks to confirm a head gasket leak - maybe you should get a second opinion from a different dealership or an independent.

Pull the plugs and inspect them - if one is distinctly different in appearance, its a good sign of a head gasket leak.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
511 Posts
Check under oil fill cap for signs of coolant in oil and check oil level, if coolant goes into oil then oil level should go up.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
...if coolant goes into oil then oil level should go up.
Not necessarily...

It does depend on how much coolant gets into the oil of course, however a lot of that will burn off and evaporate.

I had an older vehicle that leaked coolant into the oil... but the oil level never went up.

I found out about the coolant in the oil after I had an Oil Analysis done.

(I did have to regularly add a coolant to the overflow tank though.)

As for checking under the oil fill cap...

A lot of vehicles accumulate a white/beige "froth" under the oil fill cap, especially in the winter time, due to condensation. Some people will mistake that for coolant in the oil.

My Jeep is like that - it has been that way since new. The first time I saw it while doing an oil change I freaked out and took it straight to the dealership. They told me it was totally normal for that engine and not to worry about it. Well considering that, 20 years later, I now have 400,000 km on that engine with no issues, I guess they were right.

Richard

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so maybe a "cheap " option would be to get an oil anaysis... second opinion would be great but most places i asked wanted to charge for a diagnostic even though theyd make a lot of money if they can replace the engine through the warranty

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sedona (2 of them)
23 Posts
If you're still under warranty the dealer needs to deal with this. No apparent leak is a bad sign on a vehicle of this age.

I have three Sedonas with 150,000+ miles on them and have never had an issue with coolant loss. If you have white smoke when you first start it up that's almost assuredly where it's exiting the vehicle, the result of pressured coolant seeping into your intake and cylinders as the car is cooling down from the prior drive.

If that's the case this is kind of a big deal. Needs to be fixed, and you sure as heck want to start documenting your communications with your dealer. If you walk in with a sheaf of papers at 110,000 they'll cover you under warranty. Make sure you have that stuff neat in a folder to show to them.

Question -- did you have a significant heat event with the van at any point? It may be a bum gasket from the original assembly, but an overheat would damage them as well.

·
Registered
2016 Sedona SXL
8 Posts
Looked at my overflow tank on my Sedona and its almost below the low line for the second time.

I wasn't driving it the last 2 weeks but am sending it to the dealer to recheck if there's a leak and add some coolant because were driving a thousand miles with it this weekend.

Should I ask for some sort of warranty extension if this keeps happening till 100k kilometers, or do all the sedonas burn/loose their antifreeze?

Seems like it spends an overflow tank in coolant over 16k miles as its almost at the bottom now and it was even lower than that (to the bottom tube of the overflow tank when I decided to add some and get it checked sameweek by the dealership) the first time I noticed it around second/third oil change

They have put dye in the overflow tank but it seems to float on top (so actually, if we remove the floating dye, it is lower than the low line). Wondering, how will the dye do its job in showing the leak if its floating on top of the system, probably not being circulated much.
A good shop should pressure test the cooling system and not for 5 min. Normally if you have a bad head gasket you will pressurize the cooling system to the point of overheating and boil over. If your burning antifreeze in the combustion chamber it will be white smoke in the exhaust and prob throw a code. When I have had vehicles that used a small amount of antifreeze I could smell it when I turn the car off and it was usually the plastic resiviour that's crimped onto the aluminum radiator. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
165 Posts
Many have shared their excellent opinions and views.
Frustrating? Yes.
If your the original owner and have all your maintenance records a good Kia dealership will honor a warranty repair.
It could be a lot of things creating this issue, the dealer needs to figure out what the true root cause is.....even if they need to outsource the diagnosis to a qualified shop.
For whats its worth: There is Potassium in engine coolant. If your sucking coolant Potassium will show up in the oil during an analysis. This is just another item to look for.

How did you make out during your thousand mile trip? Did you overheat or loose a lot of coolant?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey there. After the car got checked at the dealer, coolant was low (under low line), they said they had topped it but Im skeptic.

When I arrived to my destination, about 3-400 miles away, I checked the coolant next morning and it was at the very bottom, only a drop was visible in the bottom tube of the overflow. I bought green coolant and refilled (only about 1-2 cups brings it from empty to almost the full line.)

I haven't been checking it after our return, but I expect that it went down just a little.

My concern right now is that they keep checking it and not finding any leak, but I had them check the cooling system at least three times now. Next step will be either, checking the sparkplugs (are all 6 easily removed?) or getting the oil analysed... Both seem like a lot of trouble for a new car !

Maintenance records are a bit all over the place, but can retrace proofs. Had maybe 2-3 oil changes at the dealership, 2 at 2 different independent, and one myself, next one im probably doing it again, everything went well when I did it last time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts