Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kia eNiro
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2022 Kia eNiro, and love it except for one thing that is driving me NUTS! Why did Kia drop the 3.5mm audio jack from its stereo setup???

I don't care about Android Auto/Apple Play, I don't care about SiriusXm -- I can't be the only one who still uses an old 160GB iPod for music in their car. Yet after buying multiple 3.5mm audio to USB adapters nothing will get recognized in the USB hub to be able to play audio from an old iPod through the stereo.

Has anybody had any luck finding an adapter that actually works to run standard 3.5mm audio into the USB hub, or is this literally a square-peg->round hole pointless attempt by me? So disappointed that Kia dropped the 3.5mm audio jack, is it really that big of a cost-saving move to cut one small little plug?

I have tried multiple adapters at this point and nothing seems to work...the only thing I can think of to still try is one of those short range FM transmitters and run my iPod into that, which seems like overkill but what else when they take away the standard universal plug that's been used for decades!!!

This didn't work:
Amazon.com: (2-Pack) 3.5mm Male AUX Audio Jack to USB 2.0 Male Charge Cable Adapter Cord, Audio Car Stereo Jack Cables to USB 2.0, USB Connection Kit, for Music Player, Black, 3 Feet : Electronics

This also didn't work:
Amazon.com: ARKTEK USB to Audio Jack Adapter, USB Sound Card Jack Audio Adapter with 3.5mm Aux Converter Compatible with Headset, PC, Laptop, Mac, Switch, Beats, PS4 and More Device (Grey) : Electronics

wondering how many more adapters I will buy that also don't work before I get lucky and actually get one that feeds audio into the stereo system.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Niro EX Premium PHEV
860 Posts
What you will need to do is pair the ipod via bluetooth and select the bluetooth audio source in the media screen on the car.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro EX Premium
15 Posts
You won't like my reply :)

What phone are you using? Why not move your audio to your phone and plug in? Or you could get a 256GB USB thumb drive and put your audio on that.

Digital audio would better than the analog cable.

·
Registered
2020 Niro EV Premium
45 Posts
Something I hear more and more lately, if someone gets a cable that connects 2 things, some people believe that means it should work.

But in this case, its sort of like connecting a garden hose to a gas line... I can find the connectors in Home Depot, but it sure does not work.

You want a 3.5mm stereo jack to a dongle that pretends to be a USB solid state drive... not really possible... the car is expecting a USB hard drive... someone COULD make one of these, but why?

Greg

·
Registered
2021 Kia Niro EX Premium PHEV
860 Posts
Don't Ipods have bluetooth? Just pair it to the car instead of your phone
Or, as an alternative, get a usb to bluetooth adapter, pair the ipod to it, and plug the adapter into a usb port on the car

·
Registered
Kia Niro 4
10 Posts
You won't like my reply :)

What phone are you using? Why not move your audio to your phone and plug in? Or you could get a 256GB USB thumb drive and put your audio on that.

Digital audio would better than the analog cable.
Exactly what I was thinking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just use a thumb drive with my music on it and plug it into the USB port. Works great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts