Kia Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sedona SXL
10 Posts
Did you have to run the wire to the engine bay or did you locate the wire under the dash? If the bay, where did you penetrate that? If under, about where?

Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Sedona SX
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Did you have to run the wire to the engine bay or did you locate the wire under the dash? If the bay, where did you penetrate that? If under, about where?

Thanks
I didn't do anything inside the cabin or under the dash. The fuse I tapped is in the engine bay fuse box.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona SX-L
30 Posts
So basically you:

1. Cut the green wire on the drivers side
2. Cut the yellow wire on the passengers side
3. Tap into the green and yellow wires and run those to the Add A Circuit

Am I correct? Also, what fuse can I tap into since I have an SX-L with radar cruise control.

TIA

·
Registered
2016 Sedona SX
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So basically you:

1. Cut the green wire on the drivers side
2. Cut the yellow wire on the passengers side
3. Tap into the green and yellow wires and run those to the Add A Circuit

Am I correct? Also, what fuse can I tap into since I have an SX-L with radar cruise control.

TIA
Yep, it's as easy as that. You could tap the same fuse if you want. These little LEDs aren't using too much load. The add-a-circuit should handle it just fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Are you sure these are not going to burn the LEDs out. On Sorento forum one guy tried this out and turns out the LEDs take 9v and 12v from the battery will burn them out.
I took my headlamp to home and check what is with LED voltage.

20190905_184125.jpg

In the bottom of the headlamp is a round cap:

20190905_184148.jpg

When You open it, You`ll see green board:

20190905_184158.jpg

This is driver/stabiliser for LED beacuse in instalation 12V never is the constant voltage. It is different (from 12,5V to over 14V) LED will blinking. This electronic board prevent this.

This driver is very simple - two transistor or linear stabiliser like 7809 or 7812 (I can`t read from IC) and capacitor.

20190905_184208.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay, so that was pretty darn easy. There are two ways to do this: one way illuminates the rear parking lights as well as the front positioning lights (LEDs), the other way illuminates the front only. Both ways only turn the lights on with the engine running.

So after some testing, I found which wires from the headlight wiring harness power the LEDs. Turns out it's the yellow wire on the passenger side and green wire on the driver's side. At first, I tapped into the wire using one of these wiring clamps. That allows you to connect another wire without cutting the original wire. More on that later.

Then I bought one of those Add-a-circuit fuses and ran power wires from that to each of the tapped wires. I found a 10A fuse for Cruise Control Radar in the engine compartment fuse box. It powered on with the engine, and since I don't have radar cruise control on my SX, it would be perfect.

So what I discovered is that by not cutting the yellow and green wires, I was actually powering the entire parking light circuit, including the rear parking lights. While that might be OK for some people, my goal was really to only have the front LEDs on all the time.

To fix this, I simply cut the yellow and green wires near where they were tapped. That way the front LEDs are separated from the rest of the lighting circuit(s).

Now all the other lights function as normal, including the Auto-on headlights, except now the front LEDs are on whenever the engine is running.

Not too bad for about $10 in parts!
I just did this mod and worked like a charm! Thanks for the right up. Only question is, in my van, the orange side marker lights on the headlights are on as well. Any idea how to isolate just the positional lights to be on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks. I just might get those. Not free but anytime you can do a mod for under $100, that's a win in my book! Btw, how do you get the headlight housings out? Do I need to remove the bumper and grill?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona SX-L
30 Posts
I just did this mod and worked like a charm! Thanks for the right up. Only question is, in my van, the orange side marker lights on the headlights are on as well. Any idea how to isolate just the positional lights to be on?
Only the positioning lights should come on if you tap into the green/yellow wires and cut them as so the add a circuit doesn't power the entire system. The yellow lights should come on if you didn't clip the wires and simply just tapped into the wire. At least that's my understanding of it from mletchworth's write-up.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts