Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
F250 Powerstroke,Explorer Eddie Bower,Ranger,Taurus, Temporary Kia Rio Cinco
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not new to forums but new to here. Need help. I have a 5/2003 Kia Rio Cinco wagon with the 1.6 motor. The car has been sitting since 2009 because the timing belt broke destroying the motor by the original owner. I bought the car as junk and have rebuilt the whole motor. It runs perfectly except for that every 10 to 30 seconds it just dies as if someone turned the key off. I have checked for any obstructions in fuel,air, exhaust etc... I have checked all fuses wiring ect... and can't figure it out. If you keep your hand on the key and crank it as soon as it dies, it will fire right back up with less than one revolution of the motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated!:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump...TTT

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio5
44 Posts
Where are you located (fill in your profile information)?

Do you have a starter inhibitor? Sounds like what I read it would do if the inhibitor was acting up since it doesn't always sense the key is there and thus shuts the vehicle down. Any dash lights come on around the time it shuts off? Did you check if it sets any check engine codes with a scanner?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if it has a Starter Inhibitor but if it did, wouldn't it keep it from starting at all?

No dash lights flicker and checked for codes and there is none. I was doing some reading and I am leanng towards the (CPS) camshaft position sensor. It will run long enough till it gets some heat to it(about a minute and a half) then dies. If you crank it right back up it only runs for about 6 seconds. Gonna borrow a noid light tester this evening and see what I can find out. What ya think? Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio5
44 Posts
If it was completely not sensing your key. But I've heard of them going bad and then causing the engine to shut down after it is started.

Could be the CPS but I wonder why it isn't throwing a code for it.

Check your starter and wiring?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't find any loose or pinched,frayed,etc... wires around starter, alternator etc...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does this car have a Crankshaft position sensor to and if so where is it at? Or is it just the camshaft position sensor? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
Try checking the MAIN and STARTER relays... They can become intermittant on KIAs around the age of your car (2003) and can be a real problem maker with starting and running.. Rockauto is a good place to get them...Stay away from Advance and Autozone for these relays. You are mechanically minded...try opening them up and look at the contacts for pitting or oxidation. Some relays will allow you to temporarily re-install them with the cover off.. You can then see them close and see arcing "if" they are bad.
Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I will try that tonight. You are talking about the fuse box under the hood next to the battery right? Do you have a picture telling me which one is which? If not no problem I will google it and find one. Thanks again for everyones help, will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not a good update. Checked all wiring again along with all the fuses and relays. Didn't see any bad ones and swapped them around just to make sure. Nothing changed. I unplugged the cam sensor and a code was made and it hardly ran at all. Plugged it back in cleared codes. Did samething for crank sensor with same results.:mad:

Could anything in the new head be causing this? I dont see how it would but I am grasping at straws at this point.Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
How about hanging a dc voltmeter on the output of the main relay, and fuel pump relay... What your looking for is an interuption of voltage that happens at the same time the engine stalls..
I don't think that the head is at fault as the engine does run as you said "It will run long enough till it gets some heat to it(about a minute and a half) then dies. If you crank it right back up it only runs for about 6 seconds." Something electronic is cycling...

The 6 seconds make me wonder if the fuel pump comes on for a short time that is just long enough to pressurize the fuel rail and the injectors have fuel to run...then after the pressure falls (pump not running) the engine runs out of gas... ???
Is there pressure in the fuel rail AFTER the engine stalls?? May be a clue...
We need to "see" what quits.. A spark tester attached between coil and plugs may also indicate that spark gets shut off...

The engine should run (poorly) with one injector out.. how about putting the loose injector into a clear jar and watch to see if the injector(s) stop spraying at the time of shut down...

Just some ideas...
Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its got to be something stupid when we find the problem. Motor needs fuel ,air,and fire to run and I am seeing all of this. Here is what I have done which goes along with what you are saying.

Fuel pressure gauge showed 50psi right past the time it died, after it died the fuel pump kicks in holding the pressure there. Pump cycles off then few seconds later (key still on,touching nothing) the pressure starts to fall off.

Put a noid light tester in one of the injector plugs and blinked showing pulse right up to the motors last breath.

Put a spark plug tester in between the plug wire and the coil. It showed pulse/spark right up to the engines last breath as well.

If it was something killing fuel or fire it would have to stay off to kill the motor otherwise it would just be a stumble or miss/hickup kind of thing right? I don't think this car has a theft system since it is the absolute most basic model they offer. Manual windows,etc... and everything is factory, radio etc... 3 years ago before this motor went out the lady drove it everydaywith out issues. Has to be something stupid...whats next?

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
How about looking at the pulses coming from the cam and crank sensors...?
Have you looked at the switched dc output off of the MAIN relay.
Look closely at the ends of the ground wires from the engine to the body..
They may look good but may be bad. Try adding a ground around the wires using a good jumper cable...like from the engine block to the negative terminal of the battery...Check the 12v feeds to the ECM and the grounds off of it to the body..It has to be somethig simple and you and I will kick ourselves for not looking there...
Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I probably wont get to look at till tomorrow, working late tonight. Then I will post back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I have had EXTREME success!!:thumbsup: A mechanic buddy of mine brought his snap on scanner by and we found......nothing. Then we starting talking about it and he said he had a lincoln do the same thing before and after lots of hair pulling they found out the mass air had a short in it. So we unplugged the mass air in this Kia and it wouldn't idle(no mass air) but it ran perfectly! I took the idle screw and bumped it up so it would run a little high and it ran for at least an hour. Warmed up, fan came on,heat works etc...drove it around the next door parking lot (about 2 miles total) and it does great. So I just ordered a new mass air meter and when it gets here we will see how it idles as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Glad you hung in there... Hope this solves your problem..
I don't think that the "idle adjustment" screw is truely that.
I have read where this screw can cause problems in the future.
I think it is a butterfly stop adjustment and if it's out (misadjusted) you may have problems.
Congratulations on your success...
Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks and yes you are right. I will get it set back when the mass air shows up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey man, while I am waiting on the mass air I am trying to get the front doors to work. I guess from them being the only ones being used a spring or something has broke. The only way you can open the door is put the key in and hold it in the unlock position while you pull the handle. It is manual lock(and windows) and I pulled the panel off to see if it was something obvious and I don't see any thing. I have been looking on here and google and haven't really found anything. I need a good diagram/picture to see what is broke/wore out etc... Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts