Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 optima 2.4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings.
I am looking at buying a 2003 optima with about 140k miles. The car seems to have a misfire that I'm fairly certain is a clogged/bad fuel injector, but I am concerned that it may be a bad valve or some sort of piston issue. What puzzles me is that there is no check engine light on but there is certainly a misfire. Could anyone offer some insight?

The previous owner was quick to mention that the timing belt had been replaced, could it have broken and mashed a valve or piston and make it idle poorly? I would think though, that a broken belt is going to result in no damage or broken engine, not somewhere in between. I guess I will have to insist on a compression check before I buy it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2002 optima 2.4
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take a good look at 1g-2g kia optima forum on this website, you'll see plenty of 2.4s with something or the other wrong
Really? Everything I see seems timing belt related. What I don't want are tranny or internal engine issues. The 2.4 seems to have issues that are fairly easily dealt with; A coil here or sensor there. I just want to know what else besides the injector to suspect.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
There are a lot of 2.4L 4cyls out there going strong...

I agree and would have a mechanic do a compression test (both wet and dry) before you buy the car. A slightly damaged valve or valve seat will allow the engine to still run but will cause a poor idle and mis-fires. You don't know why he was "quick" to respond with the TB has been replaced. Pull the plugs and check for mis-gapped or worn electrodes. Very common is replacing the plugs with "pre-gapped" ones that are way off from spec. Look for a label under the hood with the correct gap.

Wires and coils also fail and you might want to inspect them at night. Look for sparking between wires and engine block and between coil and anything near it.

Things to watch out for and to do...

Ask for oil/filter change records and past repair histories.

Replace the coolant/antifreeze at least every two years as there are dissimilar metals in the coolant system that will react with each other and the chemicals in fresh coolant keeps that from happening.

Drain and refill the transmission with fresh fluid TypeIII. The trannys can build up a gunk/goo that is from the reaction between the transmission's metal and the fluid. Draining and refilling the tranny dilutes and keeps the buildup at a tolerable level. This is not a flush but an exchange of 2/3s of the fluid.

The timing belt (and harmonic balancer belt) are key to the life of the engine. The tensioner and water pump are also key parts and should be replaced every other belt change.

The crank sensor is a known "weak link" on this engine and is a bear to replace if not done when the TB is replaced. This causes many 2.4L problems from the cracking of the insulation on the three wires going to it.

The compression tests will give a good indication of the condition of the engine.
140k on these engines is not uncommon and they will run many more miles if taken care of.
Dave

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima LX V6
79 Posts
Your money, your investment

I own as 2.7 Optima with a 125k on the ODO

Replaced -
1. Normal usage -
a. fluids every 5000 miles ($24)
b. brakes and rotors - done twice, whatever they charge for it..
and a serpentine belt

2. Scheduled (heavy) maintenance -
a. Timing belt and water pump at 124,750 miles (1st replacement) $425 with taxes.

Never replaced a spark plug or any sensor or anything mechanical. It never broke down. Not once.

I know this doesn't concern you but investing money in a 2.4 with a 140k doesn't sound right, unless you're getting one for $500.

I'd talk to 2.4L owners and get an estimate on repairs they have done so far; or, you're better off buying a ford focus.

I had a choice to save $1200 and get the 2.4 but I chose 2.7 knowing its reliability history and reviews from current owners.

Links - 2004 Kia Optima Reliability - MSN Autos

An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the Timing Belt (2.4L engine only). This failure can cause the engine to stall and will prevent the engine from starting. When the timing belt fails it may also damage the Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor. The damaged CKP can prevent the engine from starting, and may cause the Check Engine Light to illuminate. In extreme cases, if the Timing Belt breaks while driving, it is possible to damage the Engine Valves. The cost to repair the Timing Belt is estimated at $106.90 for parts and $195.00 for labor. The cost to replace the CKP sensor is estimated at $108.35 and $136.50 for labor, or can be replaced at the same time as the timing belt for no additional labor. The cost to repair the Engine Valves is estimated at $325.00 for parts and $715.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

Google more and you'll find people complaining....

·
Registered
2004 Optima, 2009 G8, 1986 Capri
192 Posts
I have an '04 with 121,000+ on the odo and I have NO problems with it. I replaced the t/belt, balance shaft belt, w/pump, crank sensor about 3,000 miles ago due to the mileage and I wasnt sure when the last time it was done(previous owner). I've had the car since 98,000 and have had no problems with it. As long as you take care of your engine, it will last.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts