Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Considering purchasing a leftover 2019 or 2020 and wondering if there are any common issues with the platform? I assume any bugs have been worked out since it has been around a bit.

Also considering an EX Telluride. It is about $8k in the difference in Canada (Telluride more expensive of course).

Thanks.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
520 Posts
Spend some time here reading and you'll find some reports of the engine and the new 8 speed automatic not playing well together - some have a problem, many don't. Unfortunately for those with the problem, there doesn't seem to be an answer from Kia yet but the problem appears mostly isolated to the warm up period for the vehicles (and perhaps has something to do with open and closed loop running) and once warmed up, it tends to go away or be far less noticeable.

Other than that, the V6 version seems pretty bulletproof and the AWD system has been updated enough that some early (2016 early) problems with the coupler seem to have been taken care of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll do some reading on the transmission issue. I'm surprised by that as I have been researching the Telluride and don't see any issues like that over there, unless it takes some miles to develop. I assumed the transmission and engine's are fairly similar even though the Tell is a 3.8 on the Atkinson cycle.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
60 Posts
I have a 19 is really only flaw is that transmission at first start...I had the software update at last oil change and it's 99% better. It really like the transmission wants to start in 2nd or 3rd gear...so it bogs itself down some then cant figure out what gear to switch into.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento, 3.3 8 spd auto
8 Posts
Here is a link to the 8 page post on engine transmission stutter (2019 SXL engine/trans stumbling hesitation ). I find it interesting that one of the last post (page 8- dbelling) when a customer purchased a new 2019 and complained of the stutter the service department's response was they all do it. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the V6 Sorento as long term reliable as a Toyota?

Are there many high mileage V6's out there? I know the theta 4 cylinder had issues.

I like the build quality of Kia products when new, just curious about how they stand up after 200k miles or so.

Thanks.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
520 Posts
Is the V6 Sorento as long term reliable as a Toyota?

Are there many high mileage V6's out there? I know the theta 4 cylinder had issues.

I like the build quality of Kia products when new, just curious about how they stand up after 200k miles or so.

Thanks.
Toyota had a massive recall for head gasket failures back in the 90's, the 4.0L V6 has had significant number of head gasket failures in it's first 2.5 years of production (03-05.2). Whole frames being replaced on Tacoma's because of rusting through.

This isn't picking on Toyota (I own a 2003 4Runner purchased new), just pointing out that even the epitome of reliability like Toyota can still have production and design issues. I don't think Kia is any better or worse. I follow Consumer Reports pretty regularly and look at their quality rankings and who is moving up (Kia) and who is moving down (Honda) and realize that it's an every changing landscape as cars get more and more complicated. And even the worse ranked brand (Fiat) is probably vastly better than any car just 30 years ago. In this day and age, engines are pretty much bulletproof, it's the electronics and computers that represent the real high costs in repairs and every manufacturer has their demons in that arena.

Kia obviously believes in their product, offering a 10/100 warranty although 100K is now only midlife for a car when it used to be end of life. We all expect our cars to go 200K+ with proper maintenance and I've no doubt the V6 will make those numbers. Will some fail at 100,001 miles - of course, it's a machine and machines can fail. Some people are less then attentive about maintenance doing it on a schedule of "when I think about it" versus the actual needs of the car.

The problem with asking your type question on any car forum is that these tend to be populated more by people seeking solutions to problems than those touting the reliability of their vehicle. Most of the people with 200K+ miles on their V6 are out there enjoying their vehicle, not posting about it here. I hope to be one of them in about 18 more years :)

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
303 Posts
Assume you're talking about the Highlander verses the Sorento. I looked at both, overall new and used at similar model levels the Highlander cost 20% more than the Sorento. I like that the 2013 to 2019 3rd gen Highlanders have been using the same engine and tranny for 7 years, they are proven and reliable. The AWD couplers don't break down and don't have a lot of electrical, steering, shifting, and hesitation gremilins.
Now my story.. my Sorento is a the 3rd of multiple cars so it only gets about 5K miles a year put on it, has more features per/$$ for the wife, and It will never see rough road or towing, and will be traded off prior to 100K miles. Therefore I went Kia instead of Toyota. If it were my main working vehicle and I planned on putting 200K on it, it would NOT be a Sorento. Just my opinion, as this is Kia forum, I'm sure other opinions will be added. There are lots of high mileage Sorento out there, but your driving requirements/conditions have a big part in that formula.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts