Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking to purchase a new (to us) minivan. There's a few models we're looking at: Sienna, Dodge GC, Chrysler T&C and the Sedona primarily.

We haven't test driven any yet but have done lots of internet research. The Sedona keeps coming up on top as the best looking van (by far), most comprehensive set of features, and best value for the money. Specifically we'd be looking for the SX-L trim, model year 2015 fits our budget the best.

Are there any issues with these vans that make the purchase of a 2015 a bad idea? We're trying to find something under 60k miles. Is the powertrain pretty solid? How is cost of ownership / repair / maintenance cost tend to be on these vehicles? I typically do all maintenance / repair work on my vehicles; is parts availability a problem?

Does the Sedona have any common problems that I should be aware of? More than a few reviews have mentioned bad paint (peeling or flaking), is this an issue at all?

Just trying to gather information that would be helpful in our purchase decision as the Sedona will probably be our likely choice, but I don't know a whole lot about them. We generally drive our vehicles to 200k or beyond, so long term reliability is a concern.

Any info / suggestions / experiences, etc. on the subject would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona SX Limited with Tech Package and Pursuit Remote Start New Beige/Beechwood Pearl
74 Posts
I own a 2015 SX L and am very pleased with it. I purchased it new because at the time it was by far the most cost effective van on the market. It came with so much technology that wasn't even in the other vans or at a significant cost. The only problems I've had with the van which now has 53k miles are both sliding door motors were replaced and the windshield washer motor was replaced. All done under warranty. All other maintenance costs seem to be in line with other cars. I bring the van to the dealer but I have read on this forum that many people do all the work themselves. I'm not planning to replace it until it's at least 10 years old.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
129 Posts
Love it. Bought used. No repairs in three years. No regrets. (After test driving everything, I would have chosen a Chrylsler Pacifica PHEV w/all wheel drive--or course, such a vehicle does not exists, so Kia Sedona it is--and no looking back.)

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
192 Posts
Our '16 SX has been rock solid since we bought it in '17. Only hiccup was a leaky windshield washer fluid pump, which apparently is a fairly common problem. Kia should fix it if you buy one still under the 5/60 warranty. If not, it's no big deal. You can buy a brand new OEM replacement pump off ebay for about $27. R&R is pretty easy and involves undoing a few plastic clips to open up the right fender well splash shield. I did that even though mine is still under warranty. It saves me a trip to the service dept and not having my van for a few days. Plus I want to wait till near end of my warranty period to give Kia a chance to come up with a better fix than just replacing with the same pump.

I also have an outstanding recall on the sliding door motor. Mine has been trouble free, so I'm waiting till the next time I really to bring it in.

Personally, I'd avoid the first year production and get a '16+. '15 would probably be just fine, but if you have a choice... Mfrs are always making running changes, but after the first year production year typically see the most.

·
Registered
'14 Cadenza SX-L, '16 Sedona SX, Atlanta, GA, USA
255 Posts
Bought my '16 Sedona new and haven't had any issues, aside from the sliding door motors. Driver's side went bad just before 60K miles and they replaced both under warranty. Aside from that, nothing.

Did have a brief time where idle was rough. A mechanic friend said to just run a tank of premium with a can of seafoam. Did that and rough idle went away. Now I do that every now and then (either premium, or seafoam, or both), and haven't had an issue with rough idle.

We're just over 80K miles now, and we've been very happy with it. After stepping out of my Cadenza and driving the Sedona, I find it feels sluggish (but then it has 20hp less and carries more weight), so I pop it in manual-mode and wind it out a bit.

It's still fun to drive after 80K miles, and I love the way the middle seats flip forward.

·
Registered
69 Posts
mine has just 50K kilometers (2017 - 2 1/5 years old)

We have towed with it and it does fine, just uses a lot of gas (when towing or not)

It should use about the same amount of gas as other competitor, a bit more than odyssey and sienna but it has plenty of Hp/torque.

I find the traction control to be basic at best, it doesnt cut fuel delivery enough to prevent wheel spin at a stop.

Mine has those issues :
1.flaky/cheap paint (it shows if you examine it, small chips are mostly everywhere on it) from far it still looks good.
2. Burning coolant/white smoke : dealer says its normal, I hope it breaks before warranty ends, if it has to break some day!
3. wheel speed sensor playing us. It flashes sometimes when towing. It will prevent us from accelerating/makes the car decelerate as is detects wheel spin when there is none. havent tried to get the dealer to trouble shoot it.
4. one tie rod had to be changed, fixed under warranty it made a knocking noise in a wheel when going over bumps, almost unnoticeable as my wife didnt notice a thing, did not affect driveability, but I got it fixed when I first got the wheel speed sensor acting up. It seems like this wasnt the cause.
5. Design flaw with AC/heater controls : unless you have the 4 zone climate control, it will probably do it too, its pretty tough to set the air in the back to blow where you want, as it defaults to the front setting and the controls just dont work nicely. its a minor thing that wont prevent us from using the car, but it can be distracting/confusing when trying to get it right while at speed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine has those issues :
1.flaky/cheap paint (it shows if you examine it, small chips are mostly everywhere on it) from far it still looks good.
What color is your paint? I may want to avoid that one.

I currently have an '04 Odyssey that has a blue color paint that was defective from the manufacturer. They issued a recall, but it expired shortly before our paint started peeling off in sheets. Issue affects all Hondas with that blue color. Given that experience, I'm trying to avoid any paint issues like the plague!

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
129 Posts
I haven't noticed "flaky" paint (blackberry), but it's definitely "soft," that is, many more chips and dings up front than I had on my '04 MPV w/175k miles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Its not nearly as worse as the Honda's had! I think if you take car of the car, wax it with a long lasting quality wax, it could help. I have repainted the body near sliding doors just saturday, as it was rusted out again (dealership is being a crook in not recognizing it shouldn't be happening)

i plan to use rust inhibitor next time if I see rust there again... Kia Canada will sure hear of me again when I near the end of warranty!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts