Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX+ 3.3L V6 (red)
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....but concerned about reliability. My impression from reading the Internet is that reliability for the Rio5 isn't all that great...is that correct?

Also, should there be any reliability difference (other than one being a year older than the other) between the 2008 and 2009 model years?

The other cars I'm considering (all either 2008 or 2009) are the Hyundai Accent hatchback, Hyundai Elantra, and Pontiac Vibe (yes, I know the Vibe is a bit bigger...lol)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
The 06 and on RIOs got the Hyundai drive train and eliminated the problems with the earlier engines..My son has an 08 Hyundai Accent we resurrected from salvage..He wasn't a fan of Korean cars when we got it with 27k miles on it...
We we changed out the Chinese tires to Michelins he LOVEs it...
As I said the RIO uses the same drive train now...So you could expect the same results between the RIO and the Accent.
Dave

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX+ 3.3L V6 (red)
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. Aside from the powertrain, how's the rest of it shape up in terms of reliability? :)

My 2002 Elantra is approaching 300,000kms, and has been awesome in terms of reliability. No issues most of its life, some cropping up lately (to be expected), but nothing too major. Biggest issue that seems to be a design flaw or something--the flex pipe. We've had to fix it twice in the last couple of years.

Thus we're considering another Elantra, but if the Rio5 is going to have similar/comparable reliability, we'd go with that instead (cuter car, as the wife says!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts