Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sedona
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2019 Kia Sedona. The manual (and all the marketing when I bought the van) says to change the oil every 7500 miles. When I took it for its first oil change a month ago, the dealership said I need to do it every 5000. So, what's the deal? Which guideline should I actually follow? Will it affect my warranty if I wait every 7500 miles?

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX+, 2019 Optima LX
131 Posts
look up 'severe service' schedule and the criteria for it. That usually means you have to change your oil sooner than the regular maintenance schedule (like every 6 months instead of yearly, 4-5k miles instead of 7500miles).

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I've got a 2019 Kia Sedona. The manual (and all the marketing when I bought the van) says to change the oil every 7500 miles. When I took it for its first oil change a month ago, the dealership said I need to do it every 5000. Which guideline should I actually follow? Will it affect my warranty if I wait every 7500 miles?
When the dealer says "need', he's not requiring you to do it then. He's telling you a shorter OCI is better. Doing it every 7500 may shorten engine life. I change my oil ever 3.75K on my Hyundai 2.4 GDI and every 4K on our Kia Soul 2.0 MPI.

What's most important is checking the dipstick level as needed. Never let the dipstick level fall below a half-quart low. These four cylinders are oil-volume sensitive engines. They work best when the dipstick reads clean and full and later-life consumption issues are less, when using the thickest viscosity available in our owners manual. I use 5w30 instead of the 5w20 that the oil fill cap suggests.

The cap suggests 5w20 because of MPG Mandates that our government hands to automakers. Best fuel mileage is nice. But best engine life, using one grade of viscosity thicker, is ever nicer.

My opinion - as always.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts