Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Sportage Ex AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I have a 2007 Sportage EX, just purchased it recently. The weather in the PNW has been very rainy for the last 2 weeks and I have noticed every day that the sunroof has LOTS of condensation on the inside and sometimes will actually "rain" on me when I first start driving. To counteract this condensation I've been opening windows ( when not raining!) running the AC and or heat to try to dry out the interior. My question is does this seem normal? do the sunroofs typically collect lots of moisture? Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
Sportage 2009 Titan 2.0 CRDi
19 Posts
My UK spec Titan with a sunroof gets a little bit of condensation on the inside in very cold damp weather due to the temperature differential (warm inside and cold outside) - a bit worse if the inner blind is left shut, but never to the point of dripping inside. Give the seals a good clean, dry the inside of the sunroof, then run a hose over it to see if anything leaks. A very small amount of leakage is normal, but it runs into the drainage channels at each corner of the sunroof unless the drains are blocked of course.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
HI I have a 2007 Sportage EX, just purchased it recently. The weather in the PNW has been very rainy for the last 2 weeks and I have noticed every day that the sunroof has LOTS of condensation on the inside and sometimes will actually "rain" on me when I first start driving. To counteract this condensation I've been opening windows ( when not raining!) running the AC and or heat to try to dry out the interior. My question is does this seem normal? do the sunroofs typically collect lots of moisture? Advice appreciated.
Try changing your cabin filter and if you normally drive with all the windows closed, crack the passenger side front window open a little.... needing only one inch of fresh air coming in.

When the cabin needs warmth, I leave my push button on half-heat / half defroster setting all the time. Otherwise, I use full defroster when I first enter on a cold, damp morning when the front glass fogs easily, then adjust back to half defroster & half floor heat. People that drive around with closed windows and the button setting on bi-level when the cabin filter is somewhat clogged, seem to have the most problems with moisture in the cabin - moisture on the front glass.

Reactions: EdColeman

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,227 Posts
Plus make sure your not in recirculation mode with your HVAC system. Bring in outside air.
Run system in defrost mode more often. Run the fan higher. Keep the shade pulled across your sun roof to help insulate it in the cooler weather.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage 2.7L V6 EX
2 Posts
I live in Washington and have never had that issue with my 2006 Kia Sportage. I am assuming you park it outside overnight? Is the sunroof the only place you have condensation? I used to have issue with my car where if my car is outside for a long time and overnight it would collect water in the spare tire compartment if it was raining. When it did that, when I start my car in the morning, or would be really foggy or of or froze overnight, there would be an thin layer of ice on the windshield and sometimes the front windows.

·
Registered
2007 Sportage Ex AWD
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I found my problem. The other day I noticed a slight drip on the inside of the rear hatch. I opened it up and saw pieces of dirt, fir needles etc. stuck to the gasket. I cleaned it up and gave it a little bit of RainX to the gasket to help it resist moisture. Since then I've driven around with either the heat on or the A/C to rid the interior of moisture. So far, so good!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts