Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX, 2011 Sportage EX
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a TSB on this. I read it, they say it's normal. And that if you notice it, just turn the headlights on and drive a few minutes. Well, lately it seems it happens almost whenever it rains a lot. If its still raining, driving with the lights on wont clear it up completely, until the rain stops, and the car "dries out" over a period of time. It's not a ton of condensation but I can surely see it. It doesn't feel normal to me. I thought the hurricane we had might have caused it, and once it dried completely it wouldn't come back, but it does. Yes, it'll go away if things dry out, but it seems to come back when it rains.

Is this really normal? I don't recall seeing this in other cars I've owned.

The condensation does eventually go away, but not in "a few minutes", nor does it go away so easily if it's still raining or very humid.

So I guess I'm wondering, would they replace the headlights or maybe the gaskets?

Is there a way I can dry it out myself so it doesn't come back?

Do the headlight assemblies have any sort of vents to allow moisture inside to eventually come out, and at that point, perhaps I won't see it again even when it's raining?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
Sorento Lx 2011 2 wd V-6
283 Posts
Mine do it from time to time , say 5 times during 2 years .

On my Endeavor Mitsu I used a trick to remove the water inside : removing the
lamp , inserting an aquarium tube deep inside the housing , connecting the tube
to an electric 12v air pump for 30 minutes , was good for another 3 months.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX,Shelby Cobra GT500,'12 Nissan Sentra,'09 Ford Focus
123 Posts
just turn your HEADLIGHTS on and they'll dry up in no time...mine do it all the time when either I've just washed it or in the winter with snow melting off the lens...

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts
just turn your HEADLIGHTS on and they'll dry up in no time...mine do it all the time when either I've just washed it or in the winter with snow melting off the lens...
This won't work as when the light is on the heat will evaporate the water, but once the light is switched off it will simply condense again.

Best way is as mITKI suggested remove the bulbs, insert a large bore tube into the assembly and connect the other end to a hair dryer and allow sufficient time for the vapour to blow out. Then refit the bulbs and make sure the gasket fits tightly.

·
Registered
Sorento Lx 2011 2 wd V-6
283 Posts
This won't work as when the light is on the heat will evaporate the water, but once the light is switched off it will simply condense again.

Best way is as mITKI suggested remove the bulbs, insert a large bore tube into the assembly and connect the other end to a hair dryer and allow sufficient time for the vapour to blow out. Then refit the bulbs and make sure the gasket fits tightly.
Thank you Roshan , and this solution becomes even truer when you
operate hids , they produce less heat ;)

My dealer mitsu at the time told me to replace the assembly ,
that was his only suggestion ,
I was outside the warranty so $$$ out of my pocket :eek:

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Water in lights

Sometimes you can find the leak on an edge, where the front and back of the fixture is glued together. I took the fixture out, put soapy water around the edges, blew air into the fixture and watched for bubbles. You would fill the leaking seam with silicone rubber . My old Camry leaked from the trailing edge of the fixture, where it wrapped around the side of the car.. The wind caught this edge and pushed water in.

One fixture was so beat up, I drilled drain holes in the bottom. This was preferable to the 4" of water sloshing around inside the fixture.

If water continues to get into the fixture, the reflector can deteriorate.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Do you think just removing the 2 circular screw in caps that expose the bulb wires and letting it air out for a few hours will do anything?

I noticed silica gel packs in there. I'm wondering if maybe leaving the screw caps off for several hours on a hot day, and replacing the silica packs with new ones, maybe a few extras, might do the trick. Worth a try?

How do you remove the actual bulbs? I didn't have a flashlight to get a good look.

The question is, where is the moisture getting into the lamps to begin with? Kia says its normal apparently.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts
Do you think just removing the 2 circular screw in caps that expose the bulb wires and letting it air out for a few hours will do anything?
Just removing the caps won't do anything. You need to remove the bulbs and then introduce a tube and blow in hot air to push the moisture out.

MY Sporty had a very bad case of condensation and was completely cured by doing this.

How do you remove the actual bulbs? I didn't have a flashlight to get a good look.
Bulbs are anchored into place with metal wire clips and are easy to remove.

Kia says its normal apparently.
My Sorento never shows condensation despite the tropical climate with heavy rain etc, It is not normal and it is detrimental to the head lamp reflectors.

At any rate there is no harm trying it out is there?

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
ok.. so quickest solution because i fiddle around with headlights a lot..
turn on your high and lows, open your dust cap.. it will disappear.. or
open your dust caps, use a hair dryer, use it from outside, pointing to the part where it has condensation.. it will disappear..

after that no condensation at all... silica gel cant absorb much..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far so good. I bought a box of silica beads from Michaels, and some cheesecloth. I made 4 pouches of dessiccant, tied tops with rubber bands, didn't use metal so no chance of shorting anything.

I opened the dust caps for a few hours to let any moisture out, put a pouch in each of the 4 headlight assembly back sides, where the wiring is. The little silica pack that apparently comes from Kia is very little material, my pouches likely have 20 times as much. Since then, I haven't seen any moisture inside the lights. Granted, no pounding rain yet, but some, and so far no issues. We'll see what happens after driving through some puddles.

·
Registered
372 Posts
So far so good. I bought a box of silica beads from Michaels, and some cheesecloth. I made 4 pouches of dessiccant, tied tops with rubber bands, didn't use metal so no chance of shorting anything.

I opened the dust caps for a few hours to let any moisture out, put a pouch in each of the 4 headlight assembly back sides, where the wiring is. The little silica pack that apparently comes from Kia is very little material, my pouches likely have 20 times as much. Since then, I haven't seen any moisture inside the lights. Granted, no pounding rain yet, but some, and so far no issues. We'll see what happens after driving through some puddles.
Fingers crossed hope it works!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, me too. :)

Just today, drove through my first hard rain/puddles since, and so far nothing inside I can see. Hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had same problem on a new to me 2009 Kia Sportage. Yesterday I removed the dust cap and light bulb assembly to gain access to the interior of the headlight assembly and with two hair dryers blew warm/hot air into the light assembly and onto the outer lens at the same time. This took a good while 30 mins plus, but hte moisture drops (and there was a good bit of moisture) eventually evaporated. I've reassembled the fixture and no condensation the next morning. We'll see if it reappears.

There are no easily visible cracks or moisture entry points. The engine was however extra clean for a 2009 and my theory is that the used car dealer pressure washed the car aand engine and introduced the issue. If it does not return I'll put it through a car wash and see the result. Time will tell if the issue is resolved permanently under the use I give the vehicle.

Regards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts