Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Sportage 4x4 manual trans with factory A/C. During high humidity, condensate from the air conditioner drains (big time) onto the passenger floor. I've pulled up the carpet and removed the metal cover from the ECU but all I can see inside is what I believe is the drip pan molded on the bottom of the A/C blower assembly. I can find no hose inside the passenger compartment for draining condensate. Under the hood on the firewall behind the engine, I found a rubber L-shaped tube that slipped over what looks like a drain. Poking up into that tube and the drain it is attached to resulted in no sudden release of water and for that matter, it was all dry as a bone. From underneath I found what looked like a flattened piece of bicycle tire innertube which was wet. Even with my foot-long needlenose pliers and a coathanger, I couldn't seem to dislodge any blockage, nor could I see where the upper end of this flat hose connected. Is there any other place I need to look or any tricks some of you may have to stop this flooding of my passenger floorboard?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
That hose connects to the drain outlet port which projects out from the firewall and is part of the lower heater assembly..

If the drain tube is not blocked, then the issue is most likely (inside) the heater assembly: it could be the cooling fins on the evaporator are plugged / water is not dripping into the drain pan -> following an alternate path, or there may be a hole or leak somewhere in the lower heater tray assembly: that area is supposed to be a continuous sealed unit.

--
If you don't have any luck with clearing any blockage inside the drain tube or outlet port, you may have to consider disassembling / exposing the evaporator unit for further inspection..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GottaCruise

Thanks for the information you provided but please help me understand which one of the two hoses I found is actually the drain hose for AC condensate. Is it the flat bicycle tube or the round molded L-shaped tube?

And your suggestion about the condensate finding an alternate path seems to be what is taking place. I had a VW Rabbit once that would literally fill up the blower assembly sealed compartment. But all I had to do there was remove one little cover, pull the rubber drain hose off, (all inside the passenger compartment) then clean out the drain port.

My hope was that somewhere on this Kia, there was a little cover I had not yet found that hid this drain port/drain hose connection.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Ok, understand now - I will check the Sporty tomorrow morning (at work now / have the other vehicle), and will post the specific location of the drain outlet port -> how to locate it on the firewall,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Greetings princer5,

Apologies in advance - Memorial Day commitments and work prevented me from getting under the Sporty / getting the measurement info. for the location, will be doing that tomorrow.

--
In the meantime, I came across this post via search: recommend giving it a look..

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/33821-98-sportage-leaking-ac-unit.html

* Will post the location / measurements to find the drain outlet port on the Sporty here tomorrow.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again ... Thanks GottaCruise

Looking at all your great input throughout this forum, I don't see how you have time to work, much less chase down these oddball questions. I, for one, appreciate it very much.

That link you provided just may provide the answer to my blockage. The only problem is that my unit is glued, not screwed. Might be worth a knife attack, though.

Regarding this problem, I tried to access my account at KGIS and couldn't get in. I can't even get in to verify my password nor can I open a new account. Are they still up and running? I hope so because I want to look over the underdash drawings one more time to make sure I didn't miss something there.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
Make sure your running Internet Explorer, I believe that's the only browser supported by KGIS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good Call DeeRock

Worked like a charm when I used your suggestion. Now if I can just remember how to drill down for the information I need, I'll be set.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Ok, easiest way to find the drain port is to eyeball directly back from the fuel filter, mounted below the Intake Manifold / between the battery and engine block -

The tube s/b located behind the wiring harness leading along the back firewall -> leading to the battery/engine compartment fuse box.

--
DaveSpectra was kind enough to upload a copy of the uncompressed complete service manual, including ETM electrical schematics to:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-YuNuTyh57XUXZKRnlLMV9sMTA&usp=sharing

upyourkia was kind enough to post a link to the (compressed) download version in this link:

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/83793-kia-sportage-manual-download.html

--
Heater/AC assembly info is in Group62-1, Group62-2.pdf,

*It's been awhile, on kiatechinfo, I think if you search on 'crash pad', that may pull up a link that details the dash / blower assembly removal procedure.. Worth a try..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
649 Posts
It's the bicycle tube that is flattened is the one that is the condensate drain. You might pull it off and make sure it isn't clogged. While it's off, carefully rotor rooter the hole with some stiff plastic (coat hanger may poke a hole in the evaporator) That's what I did and all of a sudden all kinds of crap started running out.
Hasn't happened since I unclogged it.
upyourkia

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I Appreciate All This Input

The one thing I've never tried is to remove my battery. From all indications, access to the drain outlet might be easier with it out of the way. If I can't remedy my problem with all these suggestions, I'm not nearly as good a shadetree mechanic as I thought.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage
4 Posts
I'm a new owner of a 2002 Kia Sportage. I found that when I turn the AC fan on higher speeds, water drips into the passenger floorboard from under the dash right by the glovebox. It's definitely not the heater core - it's cold, clear water. I'm guessing it's some sort of condensation building up from the AC that isn't draining properly. Does anyone know how where the drain tube is?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
This may help - post #9 should help locate the drain tube, on the lower firewall:

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage
4 Posts
Thanks, GottaCruise. I crawled under this morning and found what I believe is the offending tube. It had a very slow water drip coming out of it. I just need to get something to stuck up there and clear the clog.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage
4 Posts
Your post indicated it was best found from up top by my understanding. I was about to get to it easily from underneath and stick a stiff wire up to clear the hose.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Apologies for the late reply @seymourj98 - from underneath is easier / whatever works best for you. Hope the repair goes well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts