Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled my new Amanti up for the first time. I set the trip meter and the computer avg mi setting on the computer. Now I refueled very dissapointed because my computer showed 21.7 mi mpg.. But when I figured the actual mi with the amount of fuel using a calculator, to my surprise I got 30mi per Gallon, anyone know what gives/ However if one devides the 7 into the 21 shown on the computer you will get/guess what a 3,does this mean 30 :haha:

·
Registered
134 Posts
30MPG!!!! That's outstanding to say the least. You initially said you were disappointed at 21.7 MPG......well I would take the 21.7 MPG any day...after 14 months of ownership I'v checked carefully and my average has been 19. 25 with mixed driving ( 60% FW and 40% C) but of course there are many factors to be considered......bottom line I'd be VERY pleased if I was any where near the 30 MPH mark.................regards, rayray :D ...BTW premium fuel ( not used in my Amanti )but in my Infiniti is now $2.68 gal here in the Bay Area...yikes......but the days are over for cheap gas ( which should not be be a newsflash) and I am very happy I don't drive a Hummer , Ford Excursion or Chevy Suburban ........and all the other Giant SUV's that average , oh, maybe 6 to 9 MPG :crying: :D ................so our MPH's don' t look all that bad albeit they could be better...... :grin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you figure your mi by taking the actual mi from the speed ometer and divide it by the amount of fuel put in the vehicle. I was realy set back to find that mi computer had missed the mark so much. After reading and re-reading the book, I find that mabe we are talking fuel ratio, which would be the parts of air to the parts o f fuel, in which case if one divieds the 21.7 you do get a three. However the most my computer has ever shown is 27.something, no way can you take such readings and come up with 30mi pg.
Question being is there something wrong with my computer, trip meter??? or am I missing some equation?
I realy sort of expected the mi that you got, I only got 28mi per gal on a Kia Optima which was a 4cyl.

·
Registered
134 Posts
greedy.....my Amanti is the base model ( no computer in dash) and my average was done the old fashion way.....miles divided by gallons used. And I check it everytime I fill up which represents well over 14 months of keeping track....but I do tend to keep the speed at around 80mph on the freeway which takes a real toll on gas mileage.............I probably would add 2-4 mpg if I drove at 60 on the freeway but that isn't going to happen.......regards, rayray..........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:grin: tnks Ray Ray, didn't mean to sound like you didn't know how to check gas mi. I have friends one and electrician that didn't know. I thought maybe you were using your comp. I"ll Bet I made a mistake figuring my mi, I have looked over the internet and most are getting between 18 & 19MPG, but they all live in Calif, and suspect the 80MPH and setting in traffic takes its toll.
I live in Okla and we use hoot owles for chickens my driving is always at least 20 mi at 60 or 70MPH. In this country if you drove 80 your traffic tickets would far outwiegh your gas expenses lol.

·
Registered
134 Posts
:p Yeah traffic tickets can put a dent in your budget alright but in all honesty EVERBODY drives at that speed or faster here in the San Francisco Bay Area when you are not SITTING in traffic which is alot..we can get away with these high illegal speed because the Calif. Highway patrol is simply totally UNDERMANED..you can drive for hours and never see a CHP car and even more rarely do you ever see a car pulled over the the CHP....actually it is a little scary being passed by somone doing 90 when I am at a comfortable 75 !!!!!! The CHP spends most of it's time dealing with accidents :( :( :( anyway that's just the way it is out here in the middle of the Silicon Valley.....oh boy if your caught ...it's neg pts, traffic school, fine and a slap on the wrist.........keep enjoying your Amanti and try 85MPH sometimes...it's very safe and comfortable :blink: :crying: :haha:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:D Of course it helps here in Oklahoma if you get pulled over by an hp, and he starts writing a ticket, just say, Officer I know your from Oklahoma would you like for me to help you fill out the ticket

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally posted by greedywaterrabbitt@Apr 3 2005, 10:09 PM
:D Of course it helps here in Oklahoma if you get pulled over by an hp, and he starts writing a ticket, just say, Officer I know your from Oklahoma would you like for me to help you fill out the ticket
That's a great line :D :D :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
your math is off, maybe you had some miles you forgot to drop off. Mine only gets 24-25 mpg at the best and I do 86% hwy, yes its a confirmed 84% it was easy to figure out when I drive 100 miles a day and only 14 are in town.

Oh when I do the math on mine its near dead on to the computer. Of course I have left it for a couple of fill up's where I didn't reset it and it has done something weird where it just kept going down like it wasn't registering the miles correctly, but when I did the math at the next fill up it was right in the ball park but showed really now mpg on the computer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just returned from a LONG highway drive in my Amanti. I travelled 2200 km in 22 hrs road time. All highway driving...no excessive speeding....average around 100 km/hr (obviously).

The trip computer delivered a fuel comsumption of 31 miles per gallon. Manual calculations confirm this number. Transport Canada rates the Amanti at 32 mpg highway. The return trip (same km and time) delivered similar results.

I was shocked by the fuel efficiency demonstrated by this car. I fully expected dismal mileage and was very pleased by the real world results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I made the same mistake the first time I filled up too. I used the accumulated overall miles instead of the trip odometer reading (upper line) and was momentarily amazed by the 26MPG I was getting :crying: But no complaints here. the 18 MPG on regular fuel is considerably better than the 15.25 my Q45
was getting on premium.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts