Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
01 Sephia, 12 300C, 69 Camaro, 85 Camaro, 99 F350SD, 01 E320 4Matic, 89 Bronco
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLVED: Completed engine swap: now get check engine light and won't idle when cold.

Engine starts right up but I have to turn the adjustment screw in on the throttle body maybe 4 turns to get a reasonable idle.

After a few minutes I have to turn the idle screw back out to get the idle down to normal.

Doesn't seem to effect how the car actually runs down our long (1/4 mile) driveway....

I haven't had it scanned yet (Don't have insurance on it to drive it somewhere they can scan it, though maybe I can trailer it.)

The IAC on it is the same one that was on the car (I swapped it as well) so, before I go to the hassle of getting it scanned, is there anything else I can look out for first?

Thanks!

Solution: During the course of the swap, I plugged the TPS connector into the IAC and vise-versa.

Swapped them back, and it runs perfectly.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,858 Posts
If you used the same Engine Year / Model than the old one, it sounds to me like a Vacuum Leak, so I kindly suggest to check for vacuum leak around the intake Manifold & hoses.

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was from an '03 Spectra. Comes back with a P1505 error: opening coil low voltage in the IAC Valve. (Does not have any other code)

Plan to disconnect the IAC, clean the contacts, hook it back up, clear the codes with my scanner, try again.

It was the IAC on the car when I swapped the engine, so it worked then... any other steps I can take before replacing it?

Kind of expensive... (Around $100) like to avoid that if possible.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
You might want to check out the wiring harness from the IAC back to the ECM. There might have been wiring changes from 01 to 03. Like the 06 to 07 Spectras. There were many wiring changes on these. Did you move the harness from your old 01 engine or use the one on the 03?
Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I kept the same wiring harness, but I moved all the electronics (IAC, TPS, etc...) from the Sephia engine to the Spectra engine.

FIXED:

As part of the swap, the wiring harness has to similar connectors in the same location: the throttle position sensor and the idle air control valve.

I had reversed the connectors.

Someone suggested a swap somewhere in the literally hundreds of posts I'd looked at, so I hooked up my scanner, cleared the code, swapped the connectors, and fired up the engine, which then proceeded to run like a Korean watch.

Mission completed.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
The IAC and/or TPS may not be the same..There may be subtle differences in them..(resistance of the coils or value of the TPS control.
Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The connectors are, apparently, the same. And I got them backwards... so swapping them is what worked in my case.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,858 Posts

Solution: During the course of the swap, I plugged the TPS connector into the IAC and vise-versa.

Swapped them back, and it runs perfectly.
I'm Glad to Know that you fixed it and it was a Very Simple Solution.

Kind Regards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts