Kia Forum banner

Complete black roof on white Sportage

17K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  bluntman 
#1 ·
Got a bit annoyed with the white roof section at the antenna and the top of the trunk above the rear view mirror. It's a white line between the panorama roof (which look black from outside) and the extra tinted rear windows. Therefor I tested to cover these white areas with black vinyl and I think the result is really nice.

Note that I did NOT remove the antenna since I did not want to tear down the inner roof. Instead I cut the vinyl (which was three pieces: left side of antenna, right side of antenna, top of trunk) around the antenna and it was good enough at least. If you get close you see some white paint between the vinyl and the base of the antenna but if you are more than one meter away it all look black.

The final addition to the rear end of my car will be the Sportage R spoiler, mose likely a white one...which might get black vinyl on the "wing". Or it will stay white. We'll see what happens...

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
My sharkfin antenna started to sour on me (especially when combined with the aftermarket spoiler) so when I had vinyl applied to the roof I found out that that applying vinyl to the sharkfin was extra, so I decided to leave it off and went back to the base antenna.

The sharkfin will simply cover the stock base after you remove the antenna mast. There is a wire that attaches to the base and the sharkfin is attached to the roof of the vehicle with very sturdy 3M automotive trim adhesive tape.

You can buy the sharkfin antenna from Garage Vary, make sure you purchase the Mark2 as it is larger than the Mark1 to fit over the larger base.

VG Shark Fin Antenna Mark II

#6 ·
My sharkfin antenna started to sour on me (especially when combined with the aftermarket spoiler) so when I had vinyl applied to the roof I found out that that applying vinyl to the sharkfin was extra, so I decided to leave it off and went back to the base antenna
Sorry, I do not follow. Why did you change back? Since it would cost extra to vinyl the shark fin or was it something else (too)?

#9 ·
Of course I have no photos before. As soon as a modification is done I think "whyyyyy didn't I take before photos". :)

I did all blue prints of the stickers and mounting myself. Note that I'm not virgin when it comes to mounting stickers on cars...but not a professional either. Done a lot of work on my previous and other cars, "wannabe rally cars" with full body kits and so on.
But I think it shouldn't be a problem if you take your time, use soap water and a heat gun. Total time for me was about 2-3 hours.

#15 ·
Looks awesome. LOL @ me responding just now to a 2 month old thread.

#17 ·
Appreciate them, hope you have preparations underway to be safe for when the hurricane hits, quite a few friends are expecting power outtages and such.

When you get a chance would you mind telling me if that is glossy black or matte black vinyl? I've been looking at multiple vendors of the material and want to know which variety of black might look the best.

Thanks again and be safe!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.