Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I will be buying a Sedona/Entourge in the next month or so, 2006 or newer as we like the newer body style, the folding into the floor 3rd seats and overall larger van.
What are the common problems with these vans?
We are in the US so diesels and 4 cylinders need not apply.
Looking on line I have found many, some with the SRS warning lamp on and a quick Google search says bad battery.

So what say you guys?
What do I need to be looking out for?
We have driven the Odyssey, didnt like it, felt big and slow.
Wife hates the Sienna even though we had great luck with our old Camry.
Domestics, forget about it, I'll never do that again.
The Quest is to much money.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nothing that is not already published. Most of the pattern failures with the VQ have been addressed by either TSB, Recall or Service Action. What you want to know is what condition the vehicle you are looking at is in, not all the others.

·
Registered
2004 Optima 2.4 EX, 2005 Yamaha R1 (street) 2001 GSXR 1000 (track)
1,017 Posts
The 2006 and newer Sedonas have been great. Any vehicle is going to have it's problems, especially if it's been neglected. Keep up on the oil changes and it'll run for a long, long time. So with that being said, here's my input:

Front sway bar links
Front subframe bushings
Power steering pressure line and rack seepage
Horn assemblies fall apart (the actual horns themselves, not the airbag)
Front heater lines (but only if vehicles in your area are prone to rust, if so, about 80K)
Serpentine belt idler pulley
Oil seepage (valve covers, timing cover, lower oil pan)
Power sliding door issues (unlock motor and latches)

Please keep in mind, this is WORST CASE SENERIO. I'm not trying to talk you out of a Sedona puschase. They have been very solid running vehicles. If I were in the market for a van, that's probably what I would buy. My recommendation to you would be to buy it from a Kia dealer (certified if possible). If not from a Kia dealer, I would take it to the dealer to have them give it the once-over, for peace of mind and maybe they could give you some recommendations as well.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 2006 and newer Sedonas have been great. Any vehicle is going to have it's problems, especially if it's been neglected. Keep up on the oil changes and it'll run for a long, long time. So with that being said, here's my input:

Front sway bar links
Front subframe bushings
Power steering pressure line and rack seepage
Horn assemblies fall apart (the actual horns themselves, not the airbag)
Front heater lines (but only if vehicles in your area are prone to rust, if so, about 80K)
Serpentine belt idler pulley
Oil seepage (valve covers, timing cover, lower oil pan)
Power sliding door issues (unlock motor and latches)

Please keep in mind, this is WORST CASE SENERIO. I'm not trying to talk you out of a Sedona puschase. They have been very solid running vehicles. If I were in the market for a van, that's probably what I would buy. My recommendation to you would be to buy it from a Kia dealer (certified if possible). If not from a Kia dealer, I would take it to the dealer to have them give it the once-over, for peace of mind and maybe they could give you some recommendations as well.
Thank you Matt, that is exactly what I was looking for, common problems.
I know all cars have problems no matter the brand, if neglected they are worse.
Most of this sounds like stuff I can do myself as I'm a decent shade tree mechanic.
We are looking forward to our purchase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts