Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't impressed with the GDI engine at first, but now that it's starting to break in, it's much smoother and adequately powerful engine.

I remember driving the CRV. The engine chugged along getting decent mileage. Efficient, but not too inspiring.

In contrast, the GDI engine will chug, but also rev up quite a bit if you want power. I believe this is the reason the fuel mileage varies so. If driving conditions allow chugging along, you get adequate mileage. If the engine is allowed to rev like a super bike, then you're going to get hammered.

Overall, the V6 is probably much more pleasant and probably more consistant with the fuel mileage. The GDI can be good or bad depending on the driving conditions. Overall, I wasn't expecting super mileage. Anything above 20 mpg I would consider "good" for this size vehicle.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX FWD 4cyl, Titanium/Black
65 Posts
I wasn't impressed with the GDI engine at first, but now that it's starting to break in, it's much smoother and adequately powerful engine.

I remember driving the CRV. The engine chugged along getting decent mileage. Efficient, but not too inspiring.

In contrast, the GDI engine will chug, but also rev up quite a bit if you want power. I believe this is the reason the fuel mileage varies so. If driving conditions allow chugging along, you get adequate mileage. If the engine is allowed to rev like a super bike, then you're going to get hammered.

Overall, the V6 is probably much more pleasant and probably more consistant with the fuel mileage. The GDI can be good or bad depending on the driving conditions. Overall, I wasn't expecting super mileage. Anything above 20 mpg I would consider "good" for this size vehicle.

After a year of ownership (about 18,000 miles), my opinion of the GDI engine is "adequate". It has enough power for what I use it for, but when you put more than 2 adults in the vehicle you can really notice the difference, and the gas mileage I've observed is nowhere near Kia's rating. So far, the best highway mileage I've gotten is 28mpg. My typical mileage is 23.5 to 25.0 in mixed driving conditions. I wish the engine would rev lower at highway speeds, which undoutedly would help.

·
Registered
2013 LX GDI AWD
40 Posts
So far my GDI 2013 LX AWD with the fix gets on average 26.5 mpg (I also have the 3rd row seat installed...more weight), for an AWD SUV that seats 7 fairly comfortably I really can't complain with that figure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts