Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My 2000 Sportage is going in and out of 4 wheel drive. While driving in 2 wheel drive, there is a buzzing sound coming from the Transfer case or the hub. Then there is a "clunk' sound, where it runs quietly for a few seconds, then the process starts all over again. Anyone know what the issue is? It went away for awhile, but now has returned.

Thank you
Russ

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem about 2 years ago. Scared the s##t out of me the first time it happened. I followed the vacuum hose from the wheel to where it goes into a solonoid, or a vacuum tipe gadget. Took this thing of cleaned it inside with some q20, put it back and that was the end of that noise.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,003 Posts
I had the same problem about 2 years ago. Scared the s##t out of me the first time it happened. I followed the vacuum hose from the wheel to where it goes into a solonoid, or a vacuum tipe gadget. Took this thing of cleaned it inside with some q20, put it back and that was the end of that noise.
Please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,003 Posts
Hello

My 2000 Sportage is going in and out of 4 wheel drive. While driving in 2 wheel drive, there is a buzzing sound coming from the Transfer case or the hub. Then there is a "clunk' sound, where it runs quietly for a few seconds, then the process starts all over again. Anyone know what the issue is? It went away for awhile, but now has returned.

Thank you
Russ
Please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
If addressing the vacuum line from the modulator -> to the vacuum port(s) on the front wheel(s) does fix the issue, then next would be to suspect the (inner) hub seal(s) in the spindle have failed. Options are to rehab / replace rebuild the inner needle bearings and inner hub seals in the spindle, or switch to mechanical locking Hubs for the front wheels. Many, including myself, opted to use the mechanical locking Hubs on the Sportages. I think WARN is still making Hubs for the 1G Sportage, the brand I used here. Good luck w/ the repair, Regards, Gottacruise

1 - 6 of 6 Posts