Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Optima LX, 2017 Sorento LX
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new K5 LX, LXS, EX, and GT-Line have SIMULATED dual exhaust cutouts. Is that the best Kia can do? How difficult is it to have ACTUAL Dual Outlet Exhausts? BAD FORM!
I hope the GT doesn't have simulated quad dual outlets...:oops:

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,461 Posts
Not meant to "bust on your disappointment", but do you mean the car has a single pipe outlet with a dual tip? There are a lot of comparable makes that are the same way as I ask of....Blame the corporate beancounters (accountants) for that! Yes it costs more for a true dual outlet system, whether or not the designers wished to have such a system as you would prefer.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not meant to "bust on your disappointment", but do you mean the car has a single pipe outlet with a dual tip? There are a lot of comparable makes that are the same way as I ask of....Blame the corporate beancounters (accountants) for that! Yes it costs more for a true dual outlet system, whether or not the designers wished to have such a system as you would prefer.
No, I mean they made it LOOK like it has two single exhaust tips on either side of the rear end - IE dual outlet exhaust. The GT has two-dual tips (HOPEFULLY not simulated too) The exhaust tip is partially hidden on the right side of the car. All-New 2021 Kia K5 - Mid-Size Sedan Pricing & Features | Kia

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is hard to tell, but those just might be exhaust cutouts that the actual exhaust pipes exit through.

Many cars like the Lincoln MKZ I traded in for my 2016 Optima as well a the Dodge Charger already to this.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is hard to tell, but those just might be exhaust cutouts that the actual exhaust pipes exit through.

Many cars like the Lincoln MKZ I traded in for my 2016 Optima as well a the Dodge Charger already to this.
Specifically at 6:42/21:45...they are fake.
QUOTE: "They are fake on each side".

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
IF those are truly fake cutouts..Then I'd sure like to see where the exhaust does exit, as that is not shown in the video.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IF those are truly fake cutouts..Then I'd sure like to see where the exhaust does exit, as that is not shown in the video.
"truly fake cutouts"? THEY ARE fake cutouts. Go to any Kia dealer and see for yourself. The exhaust is on the right side behind (in front of) the right-side fake outlet and is just a pipe that turns down. Those fake outlets LOOK like exhaust tips the Buick Lacrosse has - but unlike the Buick Lacrosse the Kia K5 outlets are NOT exhausts at all. Might as well put fake hood scoops on the car!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
"truly fake cutouts"? THEY ARE fake cutouts. Go to any Kia dealer and see for yourself. The exhaust is on the right side behind (in front of) the right-side fake outlet and is just a pipe that turns down. Those fake outlets LOOK like exhaust tips the Buick Lacrosse has - but unlike the Buick Lacrosse the Kia K5 outlets are NOT exhausts at all. Might as well put fake hood scoops on the car!
This being an open forum where many different opinions thrive.....
I have no preference either way as to fake or true dual exhaust, as stated before many make vehicles do similar. My point is just where does the exhaust then exit. Seems rather risky for health and longevity of the much plastic rear to have exhaust "dump" under the car. And NO I'm not going to go drive 35 miles to my nearest KIA dealer to go look at a new model car that I'm not interested in possibly buying in the first place. Just commenting from my perspective as a long time auto tech and DIY'er.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apicture.jpg

You can just see the exhaust pipe on the right side directly under the right FAKE outlet. Such a beautiful design too...would have been World-Class...instead Kia chose to keep it low-class.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic. Now I would agree that the system exit IS in poor form! As an old time DIY "modder", at least the pass. side FAKE tip outlet would be made functional...IF I was to own one.

Reactions: KIAOwnerX3

·
Registered
2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited - And in 2-3mos a 2021 Kia K5
1 Posts
I haven't been able to get a definite confirmation on it, but I would think the rear end of the GT Line and GT are identical underneath accept for the exhaust as you can see in that pic there is like a cover there it looks like. So I am wondering if we can just add dual exhaust afterwards? The only complication I could think of is if you have the AWD model of the GT Line if that will pose a problem installing the dual exhaust.

This video has a nice look:
check around 7min

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't been able to get a definite confirmation on it, but I would think the rear end of the GT Line and GT are identical underneath accept for the exhaust as you can see in that pic there is like a cover there it looks like. So I am wondering if we can just add dual exhaust afterwards? The only complication I could think of is if you have the AWD model of the GT Line if that will pose a problem installing the dual exhaust.

This video has a nice look:
check around 7min
It's possible - I put a dual outlet exhaust on the wife's 2017 Optima LX using new parts for the 2017 SX model. The cost is HIGH though. If the rear fascia is the same between the GT-Line and GT models you will only have to change out the lower cover Like I did on her car -- you can expect greater than $1200 for an exhaust system and another $400 for the cover, brackets, and heat shield. (I got lucky by buying a NIB Kenetic exhaust for only $600.00 - if I would have had to pay $1200 I wouldn't have done it).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts