Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since I got my Sorento a few months ago I've always noticed some funny transmission business going on. The first problem is unrelated to cold weather. My Sorento has the 3.5L V6.

First, When I am in slow traffic and let off the gas, then get back on the gas slowly, I can feel a thump/shutter. This can happen at almost any speed. If I let off the gas then get back on the gas, I get a thump that can be felt through the whole vehicle. Not sure if this is normal or if I'm over reacting again.

Secondly, it's starting to get cold here in Canada in the morning. I let my Sorento idle for atleast a minute before I put it in to reverse to back out of my driveway. When I put it in drive and take off, the 1-2 shift is rough. There is a stop sign just down the road from my house that I have to stop at every morning. As I come up to the stop, I can feel a harsh 2-1 downshift. It can also be felt by my passengers. Not very pleasant but it does go away after the engine warms up.

Thirdly, my startup clatter is getting worse as the weather is getting colder. I'm going to take a video tomorrow morning. I am using 5W20 oil but i'm not using a OEM filter. My oil is due for a change so I'm going to switch to a semi synth and get an OEM filter from a dealer.

I can hear a slight tapping/pinging from the engine when it is cold. It goes away after it warms up. Sounds almost like piston slap to me. Like i said, I'll try and film it just so you guys can get a better understanding.

Just wondering if anyone else is dealing with this aswell!

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
573 Posts
I also have the 3.5 V6 and using 5W20 oil (though recently oil-changed) and didn't feel any of your observations.

My one and only issue is that a small rock from a trailer travelling around N per/hr chose to hit my windshield giving it a 6-in crack :(

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have the 3.5 V6 and using 5W20 oil (though recently oil-changed) and didn't feel any of your observations.

My one and only issue is that a small rock from a trailer travelling around N per/hr chose to hit my windshield giving it a 6-in crack :(
Damn! That would drive me insane!

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
573 Posts
Well, accidents do happen. The good thing is it is in the lowermost left corner side of the windshield near the Kia sticker/logo so it's really not so obvious.

Plus, the amount of snow in my Sorento makes it barely visible :D

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
Thirdly, my startup clatter is getting worse as the weather is getting colder. I'm going to take a video tomorrow morning. I am using 5W20 oil but i'm not using a OEM filter. My oil is due for a change so I'm going to switch to a semi synth and get an OEM filter from a dealer.
here is a comparison on the filters

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here is a comparison on the filters

Another reason why I will be switching to an OEM filter next oil change. The pic you posted is a different style filter (Aluminum), but i'm sure its still the same deal with the cartridge filters.

If i'm not mistaken, the non-OEM cartridge filters let oil drain back down into the crankcase...causing clatter. Which I have alot of.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Another reason why I will be switching to an OEM filter next oil change. The pic you posted is a different style filter (Aluminum), but i'm sure its still the same deal with the cartridge filters.

If i'm not mistaken, the non-OEM cartridge filters let oil drain back down into the crankcase...causing clatter. Which I have alot of.
The biggest problem with the non-OEM cartridge filters isn't so much the filter media, although I'm sure there is a flow difference, but the o-ring sizes on the bottom "post" and the cap being slightly different, letting oil seep by. This was an even bigger problem the old 3.3L and 3.8L engines.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really can't tell if this is normal or not. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
its normal.. wait till its -20 and below..

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
Not owning a newer Sorie I do not know if there is a slip joint on the DS. If so check for lack of lube. Kia is not the only Manufacturer that has this problem. That could be causing the bumping.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Now that's something I won't be looking forward to...
lol.. its ok.. from oil changes in the dealership, it was semi synthetic blend that i had for a year.. then switched to synthetic after..

and plus it helps to have that block heater we have plugged in overnight right?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol.. its ok.. from oil changes in the dealership, it was semi synthetic blend that i had for a year.. then switched to synthetic after..

and plus it helps to have that block heater we have plugged in overnight right?
So about that oil change i've been talking about so much...

I took the lazy route and booked an appointment at my dealer for Thursday.

Oh well, atleast it will have a decent filter and all its grease joints lubed up...though I doubt they even do that :D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
they do lube and take care the hinges whatever is in the service in my dealership coz i inspect them after the service.. oil change/service is every 6000km classified as severe here because its windy and dusty in some areas.. and if you idle a lot and including stop go traffic..

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I Finally caught the second noise on camera. Is this normal!!??

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX,Shelby Cobra GT500,'12 Nissan Sentra,'09 Ford Focus
123 Posts
All of the ENGINE noise/rattles you posted are ALL NORMAL...don't worry, now for your TRANNY issues have the ECU FLASHED, KIA have had problems with 2011 models and even have TSB's on certain sympthoms you have mentioned...I have to bring mine in for the START-UP clunk it makes on a cold start otherwise that my tranny is super SMOOOOTH! up or down shift. Call your dealership and give him these TSB# "TRA-043" which is the 1 I think concerns you...their is also these you might want to check "TRA-041" & "TRA-037"

javascript:;

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All of the ENGINE noise/rattles you posted are ALL NORMAL...don't worry, now for your TRANNY issues have the ECU FLASHED, KIA have had problems with 2011 models and even have TSB's on certain sympthoms you have mentioned...I have to bring mine in for the START-UP clunk it makes on a cold start otherwise that my tranny is super SMOOOOTH! up or down shift. Call your dealership and give him these TSB# "TRA-043" which is the 1 I think concerns you...their is also these you might want to check "TRA-041" & "TRA-037"

javascript:;
I'll have to bring it into a different dealership next week. Bessada Kia took two hours to do a simple oil change today. I was 50 minutes late for school because of that. I had my appointment booked for 10. I was there at 10. Very disappointed.

But I will save those TSB #'s and call Durham Kia and see if they can do those.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts