Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Friday a purchased a 2011 Sorento with the V6 option. I also own a 2012 Ri0 SX.
I have twice purchased cars with cold start problems. After sitting in a warm garage, when the Sorento engine starts, for about 5 seconds the engine raps. It sounds like the main bearing have oil starvation. I changed to 10W-30 and got the same results.
The first car was a 81 Chevy with a 2.8L V6 engine. The oil filter did not have a check valve and the oil in the filter ran back to the pan after the engine was turned off. There was a filter available with a check valve available and it solved the problem.
The second was was a Ford SVT Contour that had a high output V6. They replaced the heads. I never figured out why. The cold start rap never went away. I sold the car.
Has anyone experienced this problem with the Sorento V6? The oil filter does have a check valve. The car is garaged and quiet. The rap is very apparent in the garage.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
This past Friday a purchased a 2011 Sorento with the V6 option. I also own a 2012 Ri0 SX.
I have twice purchased cars with cold start problems. After sitting in a warm garage, when the Sorento engine starts, for about 5 seconds the engine raps. It sounds like the main bearing have oil starvation. I changed to 10W-30 and got the same results.
The first car was a 81 Chevy with a 2.8L V6 engine. The oil filter did not have a check valve and the oil in the filter ran back to the pan after the engine was turned off. There was a filter available with a check valve available and it solved the problem.
The second was was a Ford SVT Contour that had a high output V6. They replaced the heads. I never figured out why. The cold start rap never went away. I sold the car.
Has anyone experienced this problem with the Sorento V6? The oil filter does have a check valve. The car is garaged and quiet. The rap is very apparent in the garage.
I was in your shoes back in August when I got mine. I thought something was wrong with mine but you are not the only one! It's just the nature of the 3.5L. Almost every member on here with the V6 has the same problem. I used a aftermarket and OEM oil filter and the problem never got worse or better. Just have to live with it i suppose.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
Because NOT all sound the same at start up, I would not use 10w-30 but 5-20 like the manual states, and dont use after market filters, OEM. It is chain driven not belt driven, so you will have extra noise.

Now it never hurts to take it to the local dealer and have them check just to make sure the noise you are hearing is the normal engine noise.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX AWD
251 Posts
My 2011 V6 EX does it, and my neighbor across the street has one and it does it too. Seems to just be the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Because NOT all sound the same at start up, I would not use 10w-30 but 5-20 like the manual states, and dont use after market filters, OEM. It is chain driven not belt driven, so you will have extra noise.

Now it never hurts to take it to the local dealer and have them check just to make sure the noise you are hearing is the normal engine noise.
You've got to be kidding me...I've been running the wrong damn oil in this thing the whole time. I feel stupid now. Even the damn dealer put 10W-30 in. They just use bulk oil (10w30)

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
You've got to be kidding me...I've been running the wrong damn oil in this thing the whole time. I feel stupid now. Even the damn dealer put 10W-30 in. They just use bulk oil (10w30)
Yeah man, get some nice synthetic 5w-20, I use Penzoil Ultra. Don't let them put that bulk crap in there. For the record, I have been listening to several different brands of autos at start up, and they ALL made loud noise for the first few seconds. My co-worker has a 2008 Subaru Forester, and I thought the valves were going to shoot out of the hood it was so loud on cold start up.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
It is normal. Like mentioned, some people have lessened it by using certain oil. I have seen these engines with 100k on them with no mechanical problems. 10-30 is ok at higher ambient temps, but 5-20 or 5-30 is recommended to get the quicker flow at cold start.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It is normal. Like mentioned, some people have lessened it by using certain oil. I have seen these engines with 100k on them with no mechanical problems. 10-30 is ok at higher ambient temps, but 5-20 or 5-30 is recommended to get the quicker flow at cold start.
Yeah the 3.5 seems like a very strong, capable engine forsure. The clatter drove me crazy at first but I am somewhat used to it now. In the morning it is as bad, but when I drive somewhere, leave it for an hour or so, then start it up...holy crap. Clatter like crazy. Only for a few seconds though.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
The noise you are hearing is probably in the valvetrain. The Lambda V6 engine has what they call "Mechanical Lash Adjusters" or MLAs. These could also be called bucket style mechanical lifters. Mechanical lifters must be built with a small gap between the valve and the bucket that is known as "lash". This lash is required in order to compensate for metal expansion when the engine heats up to operating temperature. That is why the noise is present when the engine is cold. Once the engine warms up, the metal expands, and the pounding (the noise you hear) caused by the gap is no longer present. Some engine designs (such as the Tau V8 and Nu I4, when speaking of Hyundai and Kia engines) incorporate "Hydraulic lash adjusters", which use oil pressure to automatically adjust valve lash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts