Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sportage LX 4cyl Auto, 2012 Kia Sedona Ex Auto
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this one has had me stumped for a couple years. It only occurs in the winter on colder days...anything below freezing for sure. After starting the car in the morning, I'll usually get out and walk inside for a couple minutes to let her warm up. I've noticed that after about 5 or 10 seconds, a noticeable rattle quickly spins up that I have not been able to locate. It goes away within 10-20 seconds all at once. It doesn't fade. It sounds like a pump that isn't primed and then gets primed and full of whatever it's pumping. "flump!"

If it's 45-50 degrees...no rattle. 32 degrees, guaranteed after an 8 hour sit.

It's been doing it at least the last 3 winters but I've never really done more than listen to it and try to isolate it with no luck. I'm aware there's an issue with the timing chain tensioners on these models but the fact that it doesn't rattle right away makes me wonder if it's something else. With close to 300K on the odometer, unless it's an externally replaceable part like oil pump or water pump...it's gonna be driven until it fails. I have AAA for a reason!

I'm not expecting an answer but wondering if anyone had a similar issue and located the culprit without an overnight stay at a mechanic.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,445 Posts
Sounds like possible piston slap.
Not a engine killer.
Until things heat up in the cylinder and come to equilibrium the fit of the piston to bore is excessive or oversize. Once the bore and piston warm up the issue goes away. Common on many vehicles.
I would try a heavier oil like a 20W50 with this many miles on her.....in the winter. 10W40 for the summer. Only high quality synthetic!

Reactions: Tripplec

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
226 Posts
That's a lot of miles on any engine. Probably a combination of cam chain tensioners retracting overnight and engine clearances increasing due to wear and age.

I'm with you, no reason to tear into the engine with that many miles. Run it 'til it drops.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
226 Posts
You might check your belt tensioner, it might be worn or the idler pulley bearing might be worn.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sportage LX 4cyl Auto, 2012 Kia Sedona Ex Auto
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All good feedback. I guess what throws me is that it doesn't start the noise for 10 seconds. Then it goes for 15 and goes away. Piston slap sounds reasonable as well as tensioner.

And I will switch to a heavier oil...I think. I've been using the 5w-20 synthetic for so long and it's worked out pretty well so I'm gonna think about it before next change.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,445 Posts
BTW....I had the summer / winter mixed up...sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts