Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX Bright Silver
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, does anyone know if it's possible to install an aftermarket cold air intake under the hood? (Forum search results were iffy)

I would like to install one to more clearly listen to my engine during daily drives to better understand the gears and control.

Also, how would it affect future claims on Kia's warranties?

Thanks!

·
Registered
557 Posts
http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/77116-cold-air-intake-2-0-2-a.html

My conclusion was that a CAI, particularly on a gasoline vehicle, will have many bad effects with no positive ones. Oil will contaminate faster, wearing the engine sooner. Hydrolock can destroy the engine. HP and fuel mileage both seem to go down after CAI installation, possibly exempting very-high displacement diesel engines. Also, the testing and sales of CAIs included the scammiest frauds I've had the displeasure of researching.

Any intake modification will end the intake's warranty. Engine damage that logically can result from CAI will be blamed on the CAI, making the warranty inapplicable.

Research is the best way to learn about cars. If you want to hear the engine a little more, a cotton-gauze filter can increase the noise without most of the CAIs bad effects. There's also exhaust modifications, but doing them properly is extremely difficult on a non-turbo Sportage.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Intakes have been discussed on here at length I think.

That said, they are really noise makers and look neat, but that is about it. They are like higher octane fuel or any other modification, you need a tune to take advantage of it. If you get any gains, they will be minimal.

I don't quite understand how one would listen to the engine and gain a better understanding of the "gears and control". It is an automatic, it does what it wants. If you mean that you just want to hear that intake "growl", then I understand (because I do too).

I would save my money. Or just build your own, be a pioneer!

·
Registered
2014 Sorento EX V6 AWD, RIP 2003 Sorento EX 3.5L
154 Posts
Most definitely a tune job will be required if you want it done correctly.
Air intakes hot\cold suck in more air which now means your fuel\air ration is out of balance, which means your fuel injectors need to be professionally tuned and may not be able to handle any more fuel.
I would bet that KIA already tuned them for max and you will not achieve any more HP then what the engine was designed for. Furthermore if you upgrade the front then you should upgrade the back pipes. Tons of money will be invested for minimal gains. Like someone above said the warranty will be voided and you will most likely run down the engine a lot sooner because you will like the sound and will want to rev it higher and that will also cause gas mileage to decrease. Read about high end cars getting these type of mods, they get pro services done for tons of money and truthfully only get maybe +20 HP.
Up to you want you want to do but I would not, at least not on a new car.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Just to be clear, it will NOT void your warranty. I don't know where that rumor started but everyone seems to think any mod you do will void your warranty. They CANNOT do that, they can deny the claim IF they can prove that the mod caused the problem. If you go in because your stereo is jacked up, they aren't going to look at your CAI and say "tough luck" and tear your warranty paperwork up.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The cost of a CAI can buy a broken car. Fix it and learn, or disassemble it and learn. That's my other way.

I still think the concept of consumer-roadcar CAI is flawed. Even if you're in the desert with no precipitation, it'll suck sand. To damage a stock Sportage engine with water, you'd have to drive into enough to put on a map.

I barely understand the diesel truck CAI. Diesel needs a lot of air, and trucks might be tall enough for the ambient air to have impercievable-yet-measurably different temperatures, maybe tall enough to avoid average puddle-splash damage. Still a fair-weather road-truck is weak.

Searching "truck cai", most photos I see are open filters in the engine compartment (Not-Cold Air Intakes), so I'm talking about low-intake CAI. Large intakes have advantages, and as ILLJIM69&Vadim said, unusually-high airflow can need ECU tuning.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX Bright Silver
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the input! And yeah I know that it would not void the warranty, that's why I asked if it would lead to any denied CLAIMS. But they're hand in hand :)

And I guess I'll just have to figure out another way to enhance my driving knowledge and skills; just looking for quick ways haha.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Somewhere in that thread, I posted a Honda tech-bulletin on CAI. IIRC it instructed technicians to discuss the issue with customers, remove CAI, replace with OEM parts, and reject warranty claims caused by the CAI. I have seen Kia's (corporate) responses to warranty issues in this forum, and trusting the posters here, I'd expect Kia to trace any engine damage to the CAI. Broken stereo, no, but maybe "the CAI introduced a rock, explaining the broken pistons and turbine" etc. regardless of fact. If I'm making potential warranty claims difficult, I want a benefit. That said, invalidating an entire warranty over a user modification is illegal in the USA (I had to look this up for a previous thread).

CAI engineering seems bad. The marketing is really bad. I believe much of the "testing" I saw was fraud, but I only read vague claims and misdirection from the large companies. Prosecution would close a garage&website in Podunk Iohiowa, not stop an industry. From the informal tests, any new intake could help a decades-old badly-engineered diesel truck; if an engine is starved for air, a CAI is a bad solution that can help.

Desire to learn about cars is great. I mentioned I like the internet, or taking broken things apart and eventually fixing them. Noise isn't too informative until you can hear a failing transmission or flywheel bearing or fuel pump etc. You'll feel the gears shift; try manual shifting, or Sportmatic. I've learned that the number and complexity of inventions and ideas in a car are astonishing, but the principles are always the same. The fastest way would be to spend time&effort reading wikipedia pages, or to enjoy an entertainment source in spare time, or the mythical mechanic's textbook I never got to read (maybe Haynes' counts). Cheers xxCharliexx1.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
I am still lost on how more intake noise would lead to "enhanced driving knowledge and skills". If you don't mind clarifying, I am curious.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX
177 Posts
I said it before on the other thread and I'll say it again: look at the stock setup. Where do you plan on finding colder air?

It sounds like you are after form and not function. You want it to sound cool and maybe you want it to look cool if you pop the hood for your buddies. If thats the case, awesome, because that's all you will achieve.

You've got 170ish HP and you want to squeeze out a little bit more? Seems counter intuitive to me.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
Maybe the op means he would like to have more engine noise to be able to shift better without looking at the tachometer? (especially if he's driving a manual)

As donnikl said, the Sportage already has a cold air intake. If you look at the top left (drivers side) of the radiator, you'll see a little plastic scoop for the intake.

You can see the tube leading to the radiator in these images.
(top right)

(right)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Maybe the op means he would like to have more engine noise to be able to shift better without looking at the tachometer? (especially if he's driving a manual)

As donnikl said, the Sportage already has a cold air intake. If you look at the top left (drivers side) of the radiator, you'll see a little plastic scoop for the intake.

You can see the tube leading to the radiator in these images.
(top right)

(right)
Hearing the engine to figure out shift points isn't really "enhancing knowledge and skills". Plus if you need an intake to do that, you're probably a moron. Seriously, in every day driving, you aren't winding it out......I can tell when to shift in cars I never drove before based on common sense. A tach is nice when you're racing, but if you're racing a base model Kia, you have other issues to deal with.

That said, his car is a LX, so no chance it is a stick shift.

·
Registered
184 Posts
True. Also, I drove the wife's sportage today and could hear the engine just fine, so no need for more noise.
However, LX is the only model (at least in Canada) that has a manual option. Ours is a manual LX.
The only issue I have with it is that there's seems to be a clutch delay valve, which is really annoying for someone how knows how to shift and rev match properly.
My BMW had one and I removed it shortly after getting it. Much nicer to have a clutch that does what you want it to, rather than one slip excessively.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Yeah, I guess we don't know where the OP is from, so it is hard to say. In the US, the "base" is the only model to get a stick shift. Which sucks! I know I say it all the time on these forums, but Kia really needs to offer a nice 6spd option for the SX (AWD).

·
Registered
184 Posts
OK, the LX is the base model here in Canada.
It is unfortunate that it's getting harder to find manuals, especially on the higher end models. They're more reliable, and it just feels more sporty/connected. It would definitely be awesome on the SX.
I'm amazed and how sporty/powerful the engine feels, and how much low end torque the base LX engine has. I cruise around at 1500-2000 rpm all day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts