Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento SX 3.5L V6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum. Last year, I bought a used 2011 Kia Sorento SX 3.5L V6 with around 100k miles on it. Long story short, it almost immediately started having problems. Our biggest one right now is that the check engine light is throwing multiple codes. We are unable to renew our vehicle registration this month because it will fail inspection.

Last month we took it to our local Kia Dealership to find out exactly what the problem is and how much it will be to repair. These are their notes:

p0455 large evap system leak
p0456 small evap leak
p200a intake manifold runner performance

"Tech diagnosed gas cap failed not sealing properly. Will need to start with replacement and re-test evap system/intake manifold runner. Mechnically failed/broken will need intake manifold and VCM motor replacement. Cost: $1537 plus tax and fees."

I am hesitant to pay that much to the dealership and would like to try and replace some parts myself. Obviously we are going to start with replacing the gas cap, but I am doubting that will fix all of the issues.

My questions are:
Is it possible that replacing the intake manifold will solve all 3 of those codes?
How do I know whether I need to replace the upper or lower manifold?
Is the VCM motor replacement a separate issue?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,612 Posts
…. Mechnically failed/broken will need intake manifold and VCM motor replacement. Cost: $1537 plus tax and fees." ...
Good solid bunch of criminals there at your stealership busily ripping people off. The P200A could be caused by a faulty VCM motor, a dirty/damaged set of runners in the manifold, but almost never are both things going to be an issue at the same time.

The first DIY thing to do is remove and do electrical testing of the motor. Then, if the motor is ok, remove and examine the intake manifold. It MIGHT be able to be successfully cleaned, or the runners repaired if damaged. Worst case for this repair should be either a new intake manifold OR a VCM motor. Best case would be a zero $ cleaning/repair of the runner assembly.

Eliminating the P200A will not take care of the Evap codes, and visa-versa.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento SX 3.5L V6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. I have a friend who is a skilled diesel mechanic so he is helping figure this out as well, but is not familiar with Kias. If we go with replacing the intake manifold how do we determine if it is the upper or lower? I'm looking at this link Intake Manifold but will check other websites like Rock Auto for pricing, just trying to make sure I get the correct part. Also for the VCM motor is this, Intake Manifold Runner Control Motor what you are referring to? Can't seem to find a part specifically called VCM motor.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
832 Posts
There are a bunch of youtube related posts about p200a which is your biggest issue. There are references to VCM (variable charge motor actuator) and the intake runners that might give you more info. FYI, the Kia Sorento 3.5L v6 used in our models was also used in some model year Hyundai Santa Fe models. That might help you find old/used ones. Not sure which model years, though. In one videos below, it's for a 2010 model year.

Not sure if you've had the gas cap issue addressed but I believe sometimes it's due to the cap not being tightened all the way. In those cases, tightening the cap will address it. Then, you can clear the codes yourself, at Rock Auto, etc or I believe after three or so engine restarts, if the code doesn't reoccur, it will clear itself...at least those gas cap related issues.

There are a couple of videos in the Useful Videos and Posts pinned thread at the top of the thread list. One shows the VCM and the issue with the intake runners and the other shows some diagnosing with a scope. They are:

https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm3F2jj_hRE
https ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPkphwvnIg0

You should also read the comments. Sometimes useful info found there.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
832 Posts
Also, in addition to some older model Santa Fe's that use the same engine as the Sorento 2011-2013 3.5L v6, some model year Kia Sedona use the same engine. I would imagine they use different part numbers, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts