Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento EX
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I got all of the other codes fixed, but now these two codes popup, and I'm not sure what to do to fix them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento EX
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi

By any chance can vacuum leaks cause this problem? The person that worked on this vehicle last, really did a horrible job of trying to fix it. They used lots of blue RTV on the gaskets that go in-between the top and bottom halves of the plenum, where the current air leaks are at, and earlier today I found that they had put the throttle body gasket on wrong and used some red goo to help seal it. I'm going to test the o2 sensor tomorrow to see if that is bad or not.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento EX
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

I think the properly installed new throttle body gasket fixed the problem. I took it out for a 35min. drive and no C.E.L, although it does run rough for about 15 to 20 seconds when its first started up.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento EX
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

I think the o2 Sensor is shot. I got a obd2 scanner today and the voltage for the 2-1 o2 sensor is all over the place, Where as the other three are all at .40v. So I'll try cleaning it with carb clean and if that dont help, I'll replace the sensor.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,807 Posts
Hi

I think the o2 Sensor is shot. I got a obd2 scanner today and the voltage for the 2-1 o2 sensor is all over the place, Where as the other three are all at .40v. So I'll try cleaning it with carb clean and if that dont help, I'll replace the sensor.
What should the reading be?

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento EX
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

It all depends on the throttle position, at idle the voltage should stay pretty stationary across all of them. Where as the bad one on mine is jumping all over the place or not showing voltage at all.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,807 Posts
Hi

It all depends on the throttle position, at idle the voltage should stay pretty stationary across all of them. Where as the bad one on mine is jumping all over the place or not showing voltage at all.
Take a look at this video demonstrating a good upstream O2 sensor "switching" at idle between 0.1 and 0.9v.

I suspect your ones that are stuck at 0.4v are the bad ones, and the one jumping around (switching) is the good one

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento EX
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi

Here's the video I got my info from. The o2's weren't stuck at .4v, that's just where they were at when the engine was idling, as soon as you gave it gas they would shoot right up, but that one would just be all over the place no matter how much gas you gave it and now its just 0v all the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts