Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a 2002 Sportage engine that I installed in my 88 Mazda B2200 with 5 speed manual. I've been driving it around but have had an idling issue. The idle RPM is extremely low. If I turn on the AC in the truck the engine stumbles and almost dies. The engine will do the same thing when I'm stopping.

I have a P1506 code. I've replaced the IAC to no avail. Wiring wise, it is receiving 12 Vdc at pin and checked continuity between pins 1 and 3 and ECM pins 2 and 29 (respectively). The wires had good continuity and neither one was shorted to ground.

Is there anything else I should check before I pull the trigger and replace the ECM? The only other codes I'm getting are for emissions equipment, accelerator sensor, and the CEL (none of which I installed as part of the swap) and a code for the transmission configuration (engine came from an auto vehicle, but I did ground the pin to tell the ECM it's a manual trans).

Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
12 Vdc at pin and checked continuity between pins 1 and 3 and ECM pins 2 and 29 (respectively). The wires had good continuity and neither one was shorted to ground.
Sorry, should read 12 Vdc at pin 2 for the IAC.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What code are you getting for the throttle sensor, it has to be working correctly or the ecm won't know how much fuel is needing .

Steve, sent from my Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done all those steps previously. I'm going to double check that I do not have a short on the open or close line, but I'm fairly certain that I checked that already.

I have no codes related to the TPS. Besides the IAC code, I have two codes related to the MIL (not hooked up), three or four codes related to the evap system (not hooked up), one for the acceleration censor (not hooked up), and one for an AT/MT Coding which after looking up the code I suspect I did not remove the ground at ECM pin 72 from auto trans when I added the ground at pin 86 for manual trans. I wouldn't be surprised if that's causing the idle issue as well.

I bit the bullet and got the 72 hour KGIS subscription. I downloaded all of the wiring diagrams I need for the engine, charging systems, and related functions (the copies I previously got are not very clear) and "printed" all the OBDII code procedures to PDF format. I already had other spec charts for torques and whatnot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did indeed have pin 72 on the ECM ran to ground. I took that off and the AT/MT coding fault went away.

As far as the IAC, it was a P1505 code. It doesn't matter much as I had already checked all 3 wires for the IAC and again, everything checked out fine. I cleared the codes, drove it around a bit, and it seems to have stayed gone. I will check the codes again tomorrow after work once it's had a chance to drive on the highway.

I pulled the dust cover off over the no 1 spark plug and hooked my timing light's ammeter around the plug lead. I had to set it to "2 cycle" for it to read the RPM correctly, but it does read 820 RPM. It fluctuates some, but nothing bad. It still sounds like a rough idle to me, but the RPM is correct so I'll just keep it as is.

I do have one other question that maybe someone can help me out with. ECM pin 46 is connected to the ground side of the AC relay. When the AC gets turned on (or at least when the ground for the relay is provided by the AC switch), does the ECM step up the engine RPM or is it only a signal to tell the ECM the AC is turned on so that it can monitor the coolant temp for the AC cutoff relay? I added AC to my truck but I don't have that pin populated on the ECM plug (I probably ripped it out when I cleaned up the harness) so I haven't connected the AC relay to the ECM. When I turn the AC on the engine nearly stalls before recovering and the RPM drops some. I just want to know if it's worth bothering to pull another harness when one becomes available at the pull-it yard (or pull an ECM pin from the 97 model in the yard and just add it in).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
Steve_Sidwell
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing