Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Spectra LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted awhile ago that my car would not turn over. In the end it turned out to be a clamp that holds a bundle of wires running over the center "hump" by my right leg. Now when I drive there is a clunk feeling and the car shifts to about 3rd gear and wont shift any longer. I can turn the car off and this will correct it.. sometimes.. but mostly never.

Im asking for the location of the TCM, description of the bundle of wires.. does the TCM wiring go thur here? A wiring diagram would be nice too.. :)

Thanks.. Amy.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
All the info you need is at "kiatechinfo.com"
heres what you need....

You really don't need to "buy" a manual...Just go to "kiatechinfo.com",
register, and all the info you need is right there.
You need to be running
Microsoft Windows (XP,Vista,7) and
Microsoft IE (Internet Explorer 8 or higher).
You also need to download and install a free "plug-in or app" called Adobe SVG
(Scaled Vector Graphics). There is a link to this software on their site.
and a valid email address to send the password to..
This is the only known good way to get onto this site..

******The site doesn't like...******

Mac or Linux Operating Systems
Firefox/Chrome/Safari Browers

There is a moderate learning curve as things aren't always where you would think they should be...but a little looking gets everything you could possibly need.

We are here also to help and want to answer any questions you have.
Dave

·
Registered
2006 Spectra LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick reply.. :)

I've been all through kiatech. It shows quite a few harnesses except I cant find the ones for the TCM or ECM. Also doesn't show the location of the ECM, TMC or the routing location for the harness. It does show the schematic.. but would just like to know the location of both of these.

The wire that was pinched prevented me from starting the car. There has to be around 40 wires in this bundle. I suspect it leads to the ECM and/or the TCM. If it does go to either one.. this might explain why I have the transmission locking into third gear while driving. I can have my boyfriend cut the entire section out and start soldering.. but this brute force way is kinda harsh.. especially if this bundle of wires isn't the problem.

Any help with this you be appreciated.. Amy.

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Hi Amy...
The ECM/TCM (all in one) is located under the dash on the far left side. (big silver box)
There are blue colored alpha numerics near the schematic connectors that when clicked on will pull up the location of that connector and the location of the item it's connected to.
If you select "ETM" for the table...MFI Control from the left window...Then select #2 schematic...look for MC71 on left side of ECM...click on it and select Component tab...

Like I said it take a moderate learning curve to locate what you want...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Oh BTW...
P0700 KIA Description
The Transmission Control Module (TCM) monitors the malfunction of sensors and actuators relating to transmission control. When the TCM detects a malfunction with the control, a signal is send to the Engine Control Module (ECM) to trigger the Engine Light or Service Engine Soon light. The ECM stores the P0700 code and it means the TCM detected a malfunction with the transmission controls.

There is a post on the newer Spectras (2004.5~2009) about internal flexable printed circuit board connections going bad forcing the tranny into "limp" mode and setting a "code" P0700. It requires that the tranny be taken apart and the solder connections resoldered... This may apply to your Spec..
Dave

·
Registered
2006 Spectra LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moderate learning curve... I can see that. lol.

Last night my brother and I went back to this harness located under the console, directly under the radio, on the floor.. where my old boyfriend repaired the damaged wire. I fiddled with this harness.. tugging on it.. taping on it.. pulling on it.. then took the car for a drive. Didn't get past the house and clunk into third gear. So I shut the car off.. wedged a door stopper directly on top of the harness and under a bulky plastic bulkhead. Started the car and drove around the block. All was good so I removed the wedge. Didnt make it three houses away and clunk.

I recall shortly after the whole car wont start hassle, about two years ago, the car did this limp home thing.. but only once. It has been off and on since then.. slowly becoming a daily thing. Im almost 100% sure its a wire in this harness.

I'll look again at Kiatech and see if I can find what I need.. but if I cant I might have to bug you again..

Thanks DavesSpectra... Amy

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Amy...
I admire your spunk...Get in there and fix it!!
I have other posters that won't get off their A$% and try...and look for the "easiest" way out....I/We have two Specs and love them for what they are. (mine is a 2006 that was "totalled" with 24k miles on it when I bought it...Runs beautifully). Do us a favor and post some pictures of where the original wire was pinched and the bulkhead where you have applied pressure. It sounds like a wire has been cut through and only makes contact when pressure is applied. Some of the wiring does go through the center console.. I promise to help in any way possible to get/give you info. Together we''l get it fixed!
Dave

·
Registered
2006 Spectra LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I dont know why I changed the year of my car in my profile to 2008 but it's a 2006.

Anyways.. I figured out the kiatech site somewhat. When searching the connector mc71 or mc81, it shows what is all running through it. Now when I switch to 2006 and do the same search but this time for mc01 I get nothing. Using the search for the years 2007 and 2008 as a guide I found some of the wires.. 3 to be exact. MC01 is the connector, right after where we discovered the pinch, that is the location of the pinch.

Picture will have to come tomorrow morning.. My boyfriend is working till 5am. He hates internet.. and hates working on cars.. but not me. http://www.kia-forums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks again Dave.. Amy.

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Spectra LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So here I am with two 5 watt led flash lights.. contorted.. trying to take a good pic of the harness for you.. I figured I might as well see how many connectors are coming off of this bundle of wires. I found three. But there was this one connector.. it was blue.. and it looked funny.. it kinda looked like it wasn't seated all the way into its mate. So I pushed on it.. CLICK. I thought... it better not be this simple.. not for all the grief this has givin me. I took out the door stopper and went for a drive.

Well so far so good. I can drive without the block of wood. My boyfriend is kinda happy he doesnt have to cut out and splice in 40 odd wires.

Dave thanks for all your help.. nice to know people are still willing to help out a stranger. I do have one request if you have time.. The connector that wasn't quite plugged in was blue.. I think it was MC02. Is it possible for you to find out what ran through this connector. I would like to know what all ran through this. I have looked at kiatech but it seems like the 2006 info is kinda sparse compared to the 2008 i was looking at.

Thanks again dave.. Amy.

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Amy...
Where was the MC02 connector located? It looks like it is located in the center of the dash behind the AC/Heater controls. The comment on this connector is "Connection with control harness". Looks like it's for heating and AC controls...
The TCM is behind the steering column lower apron to the right of the ECM and to the left of the center console.
Windows (XP) and Office 2007 are giving me fits right now and I can't capture and post the picture showing it (MC02) in the center of the dash.... Your boyfriend hates car repairs....I hate Microsoft and their garbage quality software.. (I love Linux because it just plain works). Kiatechinfo.com is based on a "Windoz" server and old Windoz software so I'm stuck with MS to get you info. I hate Monopolies like Microsoft as you have no options when big corporations "buy into" software "discounts" if they ONLY use and support their software. OK...I'm off my soap box...
I hope this cured your problems (really I do!) but I'm not real sure it did...
Dave

·
Registered
2006 Spectra LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi.. Center console.. its on the right side if you are sitting in the drivers seat. The air bag control harness runs right down the middle.. I'll see about posting a pic of this soon.

Thanks.. Amy

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
That really should not have anything to do with the engine and transmission problems..
I believe that's an extension of the AC/Heating wiring as it's called a "control harness".
(heating, AC and fan "control").
Some of the other wiring going through this area "might" but I really cant see why it would ... The TCM and ECM are on the left and their wiring would go down through the kick panel by the drivers left foot to the engine and tranny..

Wiring going through the center console and onto the floor would probably be only for air bags/passenger present sensor/seat belt interlocks/ and pryotechnics for locking the seatbelts during a crash. Wiring going to the far right would be the passenger air bag, Fan control wiring, wireless key fob circuitry.
I would be looking in the dash to the left of the steering wheel as that is where the engine/tranny control circuitry is.
Remember I'm doing this "blind" on the other end of the internet... Like I said I hope you cured the tranny problem but I have the feeling it isn't that easy.
Have you tried removing and reconnecting the harnesses (under the hood) going to the transmission? Some simple corrosion on a plug or socket could cause your intermittent problems.
Dave

·
Registered
2006 Spectra LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
ok I have some pics.. the blue connector is the one that was loose. The pics show the connectors running from this harness. There might be others but I could not see any.

Yes I did reseat the connection to the transmission solenoids. but it didnt help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Spectra LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well I went through every single schematic on kiatech and come up with only ten connections on MC02. According to kiatech there are 19 connections. These are the ones I have found:

pin 5 ip junction box---ABS control module br/br
pin 4 instrument cluster---Cruise control module b,br/b
pin 21 Joint connector---Can High (Datalink connector) b/org,b
pin 20 PCM---Joint connector---Can Low (Datalink connector) br/o,br/b
pin 10 Front wiper motor---wiper switch b/o
pin 17 e/r junction box---joint connetor---immobilizer control module (power) p
pin 14 immobilizer control module---PCM g
pin 16 BCM---burglar horn l,b
pin 19 rear washer--------|---washer motor w/o
rear washer switch--------|
pin 22 BCM---transaxle range switch r/o

So atleast nine pins are unknown.

The car is running fine but I dont like knowing what happen. Curing the problem with out know how.. is kinda like not really curing it.. if that makes sense.

Amy.

The letters at the end are the wire colors.. for my reference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts